1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting side steps

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Chaser1, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1 New Member

Hey guys, I bought a set of side steps and try are polished, I want to paint them flat black so they match my wheels, I bought one can of grey primer and 2 cans of satin black by krylon, is this all I need?? Maybe other brand of paint or primer? Special type of color? Please help! Also after spraying the primer how long shield I wait before painting? Thanks!!!!!
  2. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts

I would just follow the instructions on the cans as to the time between coats and the amount of coats. remember though that many lighter coats are better than a few heavy coats.
  3. Greg84

Greg84 New Member

Painting polished stainless isn't the greatest idea.. paint doesn't adhere well to stainless. You might have better luck if you roughed the surface up with some sandpaper, but even then I wouldn't expect it to hold up very well.
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I wouldn't try to paint a polished surface, why don't you try selling the polished steps and buy black steps with the money, polished steps are pretty expensive so you ought to be able to get a good price for them.
  5. Chaser1

Chaser1 New Member

What about sandblasting???
  6. Chaser1

Chaser1 New Member

Is sand blasting a good idea??