1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting silverado lettering?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by devil_doc7721, Feb 10, 2013.

1. devil_doc7721

devil_doc7721 Member

Im planning on painting my silverado lettering on my truck and just was wondering whos done it and how they did? did you take it off the truck and do it or tape em off and do it? if you took em off how did you put them back on and keep it straight and where it was before? any info would be helpful and appreciated.
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would take them off. You will need to scuff them with 400 grit. You could also pick up a can of BullDog adehsion promoter and give them 2 light coats - 10 min dry time between coats. With the bull dog you wont need any primer with bulldog.

When you put them back on use some masking tape and a level. You can apply the masking tape to the truck and use the level to ensure its level... then apply the badge using the top of the masking tape as your guide.
  3. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

To add on to sstoner comment, maybe put tape on before taking the letters off so you know where they go back on.
  4. devil_doc7721

devil_doc7721 Member

sounds like a good plan thanks for the help guys
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

If it were me... I'd use more like 800 grit get them primed then then hit them with .. 1200/1500 hit them with your choice of color... then 1500 one final thin coat and then follow up with a durable clear and a buff. With this they should come out looking like glass...:)))