1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting Steel Wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by vncj96, Aug 24, 2009.

1. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So I am going to start getting rid of all the chrome on the beast. My first step will be the wheels, I have got a set of steel wheels from a 01 Silverado, and am curious of the best process of painting them. I am sure someone here has done it, can anyone give me some pointers?
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Are they just steel, or chromed?
    When I did mine, I just scuffed them with Scotchbrite and sprayed with Krylon satin black. They're holding up fine. If they're chrome, you may have to scuff a little deaper.

Good luck,
  3. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 Rockstar

sand them
    degrese them
    put playin cards between tires and wheels
    then primer
    main paint
    then clear coat
  4. TomsHHR

TomsHHR Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

You could have them powder painted.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like they are rims only, no tires. Best results would be to have them sandblasted. Then prime and paint accordingly. If they are solid, just scuff em up and spray.
  6. Big B

Big B Member

Hammertime

Just did a set of 15x8" rally wheels for my 1989 4x4 Burb, degreaser, masking tape tires, scuff lightly, I used Hammerite silver, it has been six months, still looks good.
    Hammerite has an unusual finish, like the name implies, it looks like a hammered finish. Try it first on a piece of steel, to be sure you like it.
    :money:
  7. vncj96

They are just steel no chrome and they will be on tires already, only one rim has a couple spots of very small surface rust. So I hope that a light sanding, primer, paint and clear will do. I had planned on using the masking tape method. Thanks guys!
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I love the hammerite look, I did a metal shelf project with this finish some time ago and it was an awesome and durable finish.
  9. vncj96

I used that on my house for the air vents in some of the rooms I have udpated, the copper color. I really do like how it looks but not sure about it on wheels.
  10. Big B

Big B Member

VNCJ96

I'm telling you, the hammerite has lasted just fine for six months or more with no wax, still shining.:shocked: