Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting stock rims

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dark star, Feb 5, 2013.

1. dark star

dark star Member

Has anybody tried painting stock Silverado rims with a chrome paint ?

[​IMG]
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I'm going to play with it some this summer... Hoping to try some black chrome under the hood.... :)))
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

many years ago I painted some olds steel wheels removed the bright metal sand blasted and then primed and painted with a clear coat. I was quite surprised how well they looked and these wheels held up for a good many years. some of the rims were rusted bad before but it worked out. tires removed and the paint was allowed to harden for a week before tires mounted and balenced.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Supposedly if you powder coat the rims, they will last a lot longer.
  5. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

I haven't used the black chrome paint yet but have been interested in it. Although I did paint my factory 07+ z71 style wheels black. I didn't go through the sanding process because of all of the detail and I'm a bit lazy. But I did wash degrease and use an adhesion promoter before painting and after a year I only have 1 small chip. And best think about doing it yourself is all I have to do is repair it lol. Anyways of someone uses that duplicolor black chrome paint I would like to know how it turns out :)
  6. newcheylover

newcheylover Member 1 Year

does anyone know of any good ways to prep and paint original oem wheels? the old paint is flaking off and the metal is oxidizing. i dont like the idea of buying some new wheels and like the look of the original ones anyways.
    thanks in advance