1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting the grill

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by vncj96, Sep 2, 2008.

1. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I want to paint the grill on my truck black, has anyone done this? i know its "chrome" but it is just a coating on plastic so ......
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Have done it with a non-gm vehicle that rhymes with "keep".

Took the front grill of the vehicle and gave it a really good cleaning with soap and hot water making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.

After the cleaning I took to the grill with a scrub pad to scuff the surface.

Cleaned the entire thing with a quick alcohol swabbing with a clean cloth.

Tack cloth right before getting to the paint.

I actually went and did a little overkill to make sure the paint lasted a long time by spraying on a thin coat of Bulldog adhesive promoter.

Did the paint and as far as I know the paint and finish are still holding up after several years.

Keep in mind none of the surfaces were chrome (though I don't think this should matter if you prep the surface correctly).

Is that what you were asking?
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Pretty much! But like I said its not real chrome on the grill its just a coating of some kind, so i think that if I get it scuffed well and primed that it shouldnt be a problem
  4. Springthing

Yep! I don't think it should affect the paint adhesion at all. If you can spare a few bucks I'd grab a can of the Bulldog stuff. Good stuff IMO
  5. neversummer

neversummer New Member

Hummm... I was thinkign about doing this exact same thing this weekend.. my stock grill is not chrome just that grey plastic junk.. going flat black . why is it that prep always takes 3x longer than painting .. lol. anyways if i do it im going to post some photos ..
  6. Springthing

Good luck with your project!