Painting the grill

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by vncj96, Sep 2, 2008.

1. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I want to paint the grill on my truck black, has anyone done this? i know its "chrome" but it is just a coating on plastic so ......

2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have done it with a non-gm vehicle that rhymes with "keep".

Took the front grill of the vehicle and gave it a really good cleaning with soap and hot water making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.

After the cleaning I took to the grill with a scrub pad to scuff the surface.

Cleaned the entire thing with a quick alcohol swabbing with a clean cloth.

Tack cloth right before getting to the paint.

I actually went and did a little overkill to make sure the paint lasted a long time by spraying on a thin coat of Bulldog adhesive promoter.

Did the paint and as far as I know the paint and finish are still holding up after several years.

Keep in mind none of the surfaces were chrome (though I don't think this should matter if you prep the surface correctly).

Is that what you were asking?

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pretty much! But like I said its not real chrome on the grill its just a coating of some kind, so i think that if I get it scuffed well and primed that it shouldnt be a problem

4. Springthing

Yep! I don't think it should affect the paint adhesion at all. If you can spare a few bucks I'd grab a can of the Bulldog stuff. Good stuff IMO

5. neversummer

neversummer Member

Hummm... I was thinkign about doing this exact same thing this weekend.. my stock grill is not chrome just that grey plastic junk.. going flat black . why is it that prep always takes 3x longer than painting .. lol. anyways if i do it im going to post some photos ..

6. Springthing

Good luck with your project!