1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

painting your bumpers and mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sweetassz71, May 15, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sweetassz71

sweetassz71 New Member

so whats the best way to go about painting your bumpers and mirrors to get that smooth painted look so it dont flake down the road.
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I replaced my front and rear bumpers with aftermarket, however, I had my mirrors painted. Whoever paints them has to sand them WELL prior to painting..add an adhesion promoter like Bull dog then pain as usual.

You may be able to buy the mirrors painted already to match your paint code from GM for about the price it would cost you to have the mirrors painted.

I found the part numbers for the painted handles on another chevy website along with the mirrors for my truck...since I already had the mirrors painted i did order the handles today.

Do you know your paint code?
  3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member 100 Posts

Its all in the prep. Start with like a 800 grit wetsand primer 2 coats wetsand with 1000 grit, Paint 2 coats, wetsand with 2000 grit, Its like sanding with newspaper. Then 1 more
    coat of paint, and buff it out. I didnt use any clear coat
    on mine.. All my paint was from raddle cans from Wal-mart.
    Most important part. Wax & bug remover Before the primer.
    And a tack cloth before each coat of paint..