Pappy

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rathmann, Jan 11, 2013.

1. rathmann

rathmann New Member

Just pruchased an '06 Silverado LT extended cab with 79K miles and looks like I will be getting between 17 and 18 mpg normal driving. This will be my basic transportation unless it is a really nice day and I get the BMW 325Ci 5 speed out for a little fun on curvey country roads of north Alabama. I sold an '04 Dodge 2500 with Cummins turbo diesel to which I had added after-market intake and exahust and a Smarty Jr. tunner. I spent over $1,000 to gain maybe two miles per gallon and don't want to make the same mistake again. I am told by local autoparts store that I should pick up at least five mpg on the Silverado with 4.8L engine if I install similar equipment (K & N air filter, dual exhaust system and tunner). Sure would like to hear some personal experience testimonies about specific bolt-ons that work. Don't want to give up any hp but don't need more either. Primary interest is improving mpg.

2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

lightly loaded on the highway at speed limit in our 4.8 we can get 27 or 28 mpg.

In town is a different story....spec is 19, and I rarely get that
    Brian from Canada

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well I can tell ya With a few improvements you can make the Truck out handle and perform the BMW... :gasp:

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

5. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here. :glasses:

6. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to The Club.

7. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to GMTC, glad to have you here.

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:

9. rathmann

rathmann New Member

Brian from Canada,
    Are you saying you are getting 19 city and 27-28 highway with a stock 4.8L or have you done some modifications? I'm getting 17-18 combination driving city and highway and would love to boost to 27-28 highway. Talked to local muffler shop owner yesterday and he was not at all encouraging about getting improvement with exhaust modification. I was a little surprised but not confident he knows what he's talking about. What are some good sorces for after market bolt on performance. I noted that one of the truck desciptions on the forum mentioned Van & Truck World. Where else should I look?
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Pappy

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized I can reply directly to you. Are you getting that kind of mpg with a stock 4.8L? Looks like your truck is later model than my '06, wonder if GM did anything different? I understand the 5.3L has a feature that shuts down 2 cylinders when they are not needed and boosts mpg but understood it was not available on the 4.8L.
    Have a great day,
    Pappy

10. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club! You will find all the information you need here...enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Pappy!
    Check your pm's.