Park or nuetral?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RangerJ, Jul 18, 2013.

1. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

1994 Z-71 4x4 auto.What is the best way to check trans fluid Park or neutral? Thanks

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

P or N is the same as far as the internals of the tranny are concerned; but for safety, use P, the truck won't roll over the person checking the fluid level.

3. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Thanks RayVoy.Have a good one.

4. RayVoy

Thanks, I was being a little sarcastic, but it was intended to be in good fun.

While your checking fluids, check the two diffs and the t-case. Probably won't hurt to change the diff and t-case fluids while your at it.

5. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

No offense taken.LOL how do,I check t-case?

6. RayVoy

The fluid should be just below the bottom of the full plug hole (level ground)

[​IMG]

If you want to change the fluid, try a search where Conlan Rose was asking about fluid types.

Here is one:

[​IMG]

Oh, BTW, be sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  7. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Thanks for the info again. :great:

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the most important step is make sure the fluid is at normal operating temp , having driven it for about a half hour or so of normal driving. then make sure your on level ground. try to park in the same spot to re-check the fluid. next is never over fill or you will create air bubbles and that will cause rapid tranny failure.

I would use the up dated dexron VI fluid not dexron III.

if the stick has gray on it drop pan and replace filter/fluid.

9. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Thanks J cat,