1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Parking Brake Adjustment? - 2006 1500 w/ rear drums

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by brtt485, Aug 2, 2010.

1. brtt485

brtt485 Member

I have a 2006 1500 LT Ext Cab 4x4 with rear drum brakes. I replaced the shoes yesterday and all is well except the parking brake lever seems to have much more travel than it did before. Rear brakes are adjusted fine, parking brake seems to work fine, pedal just goes almost all the way to the floor which is didnt do before.

I jacked up the rear of the truck and engaged the parking brake to make sure the cable was connected at both rear wheels and it they were both engaged.

I would like to have the same resistance on the parking brake pedal as I did before so I know if I am on a really steep incline or something I am fully enagaged. I checked my manual and it said the parking brake is self adjusting and a search on here seemed limited to disc brakes in the rear.

Any ideas?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Possibly the adjuster froze? Because if it is self adjusting then all you really can do is replace the adjuster...
  3. brtt485

brtt485 Member

I assume you mean the adjuster under the truck where the cable from the parking brake lever connects to the 2 cables that connect to the brake shoes?
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well that is something along the lines of what i was thinking, since you said they were self adjusting then the only real thing is the adjuster might be shot or the cables might be stretched..
  5. brtt485

brtt485 Member

Is there any reason I cant or shouldnt manually adjust the "adjuster"?