1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Parking brake light

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by intdump, Aug 21, 2007.

1. intdump

intdump New Member

My daughter is driving a 1992 Chevy Suburban and the brake light on the bottom right of the IP stays on. She stated that it has been on for a week. She stated that she hasn't used the parking brake at all.

When I checked the parking brake, the light gets a little brighter when you step on the parking brake and goes back to the intensity that it was when the parking brake is released. I checked the switch visually(this is the switch that has the copper arm that is engaged/disengaged by using the brake), and also with an Ohm meter just to make sure and everything is good.

I don't get any trouble codes when I scanned the truck.

Any ideas on what I should check next or possible problems?

Thanks in advance,

Lenny
  2. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

That usually indicates a problem with the brakes themselves. Could be low fluid or too much pedal travel.
  3. intdump

intdump New Member

checked

GaryL,

Thanks for the reply.

The fluid level is right where it is supposed to be. The pedal didn't seem that bad but I readjusted them a little more. The pedal is good, and firm.

Just for chuckles I checked for codes. It didn't show any codes.

Unfortunately, the light is still on. Any other ideas that might solve my problems.

Thanks in advance,

Lenny
  4. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I believe it means that there could be uneven pressure between the front and rear. May be a blockage somewhere. Could be the master cylinder or proportioning valve or a locked up wheel cylinder or caliper. Sorry to be so vague, but there are a lot of variables. Might not be a bad idea to have a shop give you a diagnosis. You don't want to mess around with what stops you.
    chevy brakes