Parking Brake Question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rs6er, Jan 3, 2011.

1. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

The left parking brake shoe was rubbing inside the rotor drum. It has worn the inside of the drum unevenly. The rotor itself is fine. If I get the parking brake shoe alligned and secured properly, do I need to worry about the uneven wear inside the drum (assuming I don't care that much about the parking brake)? Or will this uneven wear force the shoe out of allignment?

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

No, you won't have to address the uneveness of the drum since it only comes into play when the P brake is on while the veh. is parked. If it was the rotor itself warped, then you would feel it as a pulsation in the brake pedal every time you applied the brakes, & you would have to have it machined true.

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

x2 ^^^^^^^^^^

4. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

So it won't pull the shoe against the low spot and reposition it inside the drum/rotor? The reason I ask is because I took it apart, repositioned and tightened the shoe, but it is still rubbing.

5. stephan

It will pull it only when you apply the parking brake & at that point it will either be contacting the high or low spot. If the shoe is dragging on the high spot when the P brake is released & you are spinning it, then, back it off a little until it doesn't rub. Also make sure it's completely releasing to the rest position. Put a little high temp grease on the back edges of the shoes where they rub against the plate so they move freely. If there's any rust or rough areas on these contact spots, then sand & clean them before using the high temp grease.. Also check cables are free & actually retract all the way when you release the P brake.

6. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

To back it off do I user the cable or the knurled adjuster where the shoes connect?

7. stephan

Use the adjuster, but you need to make sure the cable is also releasing all the way.