1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Parking Brake Upgrade.......

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by My4xburbanrocks, Jul 20, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Does anyone know if a aftermarket kit is available? I'm sick of not having a working parking brake !!!! For god's sake its a truck it's supposed to have a parking brake..... I know there are many of us running without one because we are tired of spending money on new shoes and cables for something that just doesn't hold up.

2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I've never had any problems with the factory one holding/working with everything adjusted properly....

3. Even when it's properly adjusted if you use your brake everyday as I do (IE: Driveway is not flat) ......it doesn't last long enough in my opinion. I'm looking for a setup that doesn't require more than a pad or a shoe every time it needs fixing as these do.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think the setup using rotors and disks at all 4 corners is the best way to go.

Using this setup, the rear rotor (called a top hat) has a a built in drum that is used only by the parking brake. There is a single shoe that is activated by the parking brake pedal.

5. Your just stating the current setup which is not a good solution...... What is needed is a design change in where the rear brake caliper brake pad is also used as the parking brake thus eliminating the shoe completely. If it can be done on a car I see no reason why it can't be done with a truck.

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

OK, as you didn't provide any vehicle information, I assumed you had a burb with the rear drums and shoes. I use mine every time I stop and I don"t have any problems. My previous truck ('05 Envoy) which had 135,000, only required a shoe change once (around 130,000) and I think, I adjusted the shoes one other time.

Perhaps, this arrangement is obviously cheaper.