1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Parking my truck for awhile

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mburn039, Jun 1, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. mburn039

mburn039 Rockstar

I going to be parking my truck for a while and someone recommended that, amongst other things, I flush my heater lines. Does anyone know how to do this, or what I should use to flush them?

Mike

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How long are you going to be parking your truck for? I leave my parked from September clear into April, and I have never flushed my heater lines. I'm not saying don't do it, but just wondering why you would have to? Now that I mentioned it now mine will probably explode. :lol:

3. mburn039

mburn039 Rockstar

haha, I guess as short as possible. but unfortunately, It's going to be a while. It's already been sitting for a few months and its not going any where for a while. I have it in my garage but I want to make sure the truck is well kept since it only has 58000 miles on it.

Mike

4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

may I ask why you have to park the truck?

5. mburn039

mburn039 Rockstar

I'm going to college and I have another car that gets better gas mileage so I want to build a bad ass truck real slowly over the next 4 years.

Mike

6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

aw, gotcha.

7. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN Rockstar 100 Posts

i leave my truck sit for 6 months to a year. everytime i go on deployment. all u have to do is take a trip over there and start it up everynow and then and run it for a lil while. drive it some. you should be just fine. ive never had a problem leaving my truck alone. its only got about 35,000 miles on it now.

8. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Same here. Every time I go on deployment I just leave it with someone I trust (now my wife of course) who can start it and drive it once a week or every couple of weeks. Shouldn't be a big deal at all.

-Greg

9. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i gave the keys to my brother in law when i was deployed.he didnt crank it for 6 months.when i found that out i sent my dad to get the keys and have him take care of it.but no damage done.just a dead battery

10. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i would put the batt on a trickle charger park it 2x8s to keep tires off the ground and drop tire air pressure by about 15- 20%, put a bag over the exhaust (to keep mice out), cover to keep the dust off, and stabil the gas i would also fill the tank all the way to help prevent condensation build up in the tank, you should be good for 6 months at a time, oh ya a fresh oil change before storage is a must