1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Passengers side alway hot!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 2004Silverado, Mar 4, 2009.

1. 2004Silverado

2004Silverado New Member

I have just bought a 2004 Silverado and noticed that the passengers side vents in the dash are always blowing hot air. I have searched here and it appears to be the passengers side air mixture door, or something similar. I think I have found it to be in the middle of the dash near the top. And it looks as if it will require me to take the dash apart. My experience with dashes has been pretty bad, they rarely go back together without an issue and they are almost always never right after that.

Does anyone have an idiot proof diagram, thread, or directions they could post up. I know my way around a vehicle, but the technical terms on the dash parts and HVAC system will likely be over my head, so pictures would be great.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I will try and help you, because I do have the diagrams but boy is that a friggin project. I had the same problem with my 2005 Silverado I have now, I could have the temperature set at 60 degrees on both sids and it would be like 90 on the passenger side. I had finally found that the door that lets air in and out was stuck, but I took mine back to the dealer and made it there problem. I will post pictures of how to tear the whole top and front of the dash out, and I also have all the HVAC diagrams too I will try to help anyway I can.......AMY :glasses:
  3. TRPLXL2

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. 2004Silverado

2004Silverado New Member

Thanks, any info is going to help. Just out of curiosity, how expensive is it to go to the dealer?

I am guessing if not under warranty the cost is pretty bad.

Which is why I am looking at just permanently making the dash vents cold unless it will mess up the heater and defrost, which I am guessing is likely.
  5. TRPLXL2

Step two, WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! This step involves disabling the passenger side airbag unit, so that you are able to remove it IF YOU NEED TO! You might not have to remove this, depending on where your problem is in the dash. But here it is anyways:

Disabling Procedure

1. Turn the steering wheel until the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition.
    3. Remove the key from the ignition.

IMPORTANT: With the SIR fuse removed and the ignition ON, the AIR BAG indicator illuminates. This is normal operation and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

4. Remove the SIR fuse from the fuse block.
    5. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the instrument panel (I/P) module yellow 4-way connector (1) located behind the I/P support.
    6. Disconnect the I/P module yellow 4-way connector (1)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ENABLING PROCEDURE

1. Remove the key from the ignition.
    2. Connect the I/P module yellow 4-way connector (1) located behind the main I/P support.
    3. Install the CPA to the I/P module yellow 4-way connector (1)
    4. Install the SIR fuse to the fuse block.
    5. Staying well away from all air bags, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    5.1 The AIR BAG indicator will flash 7 times.
    5.2 The AIR BAG indicator will then turn OFF.

If you are not comfortable with this step, then DO NOT attempt it. This is nothing to F*** around with, you can sustain serious injury from this step if not performed properly!!!!

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2148&stc=1&d=1236613423
  6. TRPLXL2

When I took mine to the dealer it was under warranty, but I do know from past experience they do not take care of the dash pieces. My S-10 had scratch marks all over it from where they pryed and yanked on it trying to get it out, and they broke two of my clips plus the dash has always had a squeak since then. I have taken the complete dash out of my Silverado twice, including the steering wheel and I took my time and it all wen back together perfect with no rattles or squeaks. Once you do it one time, it is easier after that.
  7. TRPLXL2

8. TRPLXL2

Step four, removal of the front dash on drivers side:

1. Apply the parking brake to prevent the vehicle from moving.
    2. If equipped with an automatic transmission, move the shift lever all the way down to last gear. (1st)
    3. Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.
    4. Pull gently rearward on the corners of the bezel from the instrument panel assembly.
    5. Remove the bezel.

NOTE: you do not need the steering wheel to be off, this can be done with it in place.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2150&stc=1&d=1236614222
  9. TRPLXL2

Step five, this is the last big step for now as far as trim goes.

Upper Trim panel replacement, REMOVAL PROCEDURE:

1. If equipped with air conditioning, set the air flow control to the instrument panel vent position.
    2. Remove the end panels. The drivers side contains the fuse panel, and there is a similar panel on the passenger side of the dash.
    3. Remove the windshield pillar garnish moldings (they just pull straight off towards you)
    4. Remove the bolts retaining the panel to the instrument panel assembly.
    5. Lift the trim panel up to disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the trim panel. (Be careful not to rip it out, there is little harness to stretch under there)
    6. Lift up gently making sure not to snag any loose harnesses, and that completes the dash removal.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/at...ment.php?attachmentid=2154&stc=1&d=1236614901
  10. TRPLXL2

This is an optional step, to get to the heater core and some other goodies underneath the dash.

Compartment/Glovebox, Removal Procedure

1. Close the glove compartment door.
    2. Drill out the two rivets (2)
    3. Remove IP storage compartment door retaining screws (1) from the instrument panel.
    4. Remove the IP compartment door.

If you need any other help on the HVAC stuff just ask, but you have to be specific because I have over 300 pages of that stuff and I get confused with that stuff, thanks................AMY:great:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2157&stc=1&d=1236616747