1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Passlock

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by aboston, Dec 20, 2009.

1. aboston

aboston New Member

If the key to my truck does not have a transponder in it, then I am assuming I won't need to purchase a bypass for a remote start/alarm system. Is this correct? Or is Passlock something other than an ignition security system?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I seriously don't think you'll be able to get your truck to function that way, I had taken my 2001 S-10 in for service a few years ago and they lost my OEM key. Short story is that when they cut me a new key WITHOUT the transponder in it, it would open the doors fine BUT it would not work in the ignition at all. Just from my experience, and it ended up costing me $80 to have a new one cut for it! :gasp:
  3. aboston

aboston New Member

Sounds like I should get a key cut first and make sure I don't have the same thing happen!
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yeah I think it would be a good idea to try, because if my 01' did it then I know that the newer models are even more finicky! Just go to a key shop for like $1.00 and try it, you might be really surprised if it doesn't start.
  5. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

Does your truck have a keyless entry system?
  6. aboston

aboston New Member

Yeah it does, and a factory alarm
  7. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

You'll need a bypass then. The XK01 is the one you'll need. It's about $35 on amazon
  8. beakerss

beakerss New Member

I don't know how much this will help but it is worth a try

Immobilzer Bypass IM06-PKG9 RF Bypass PASS-4 (Plus Key) Door Lock/Alarm Interface IM01-GMDL6X Combo Bypass/Door Lock
  9. 03BUDGETTRUCK

03BUDGETTRUCK New Member

I do not have keyless entry (manual Locks), does this mean that i will not need a bypass?
    i have tried to install a remote start and when i trigger it, it will start the truck but then dies and the display says "battery not charging"

thanks,
    JAson
  10. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

Do you already have a bypass installed? Or did you just install it without one?