1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Patting or Painting stock rims?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Curky, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Plating or Painting stock rims?

I know some of you might give me crap for this and go ahead if you wish lol :rofl:
    I do not have the money to buy rims and if I did I probably would buy something else. I’m just throwing around ideas.
    If the rims get powder coated, do they get baked to make more durable? I have no idea
    All opinions welcome. Good or bad?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Edit the post, click the 'go advanced' button, and then you can change the title.
  3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

thanks buddy....:great:
  4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i did a set of rims on my 05. not sure how it would work on the rims you have tho.

pics are in the post I made for my 05 in the picture and video section.

Alex
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've seen quite a few people powdercoat their factory rims for a different look.
    Yes they will need to be baked to correctly powdercoat them, the resulting finish will be very durable and looks great.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Anytime! :glasses:
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Powder coating will last much longer than something like Plasti-dip or a rattle can. It will also look much better, as in, properly and professionally done.

Serious question though: If you have money for powder coating four wheels, why not just use that buy the new ones? Although I have no idea how much powder coating costs.
  8. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

i just had mine professionally done by a tire dealer. It was $35.00 per wheel. Sandblasted, treated with zinc oxide and powder coated gloss black. I had the chrome covers which were glued on. Had to take crowbar to get them off. Don't know if other tire places offer this service. I am really pleased with the results.

- - - Updated - - -

Photo0408.jpg here is a picture of the finished wheel
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

They look good.
    You cant buy decent new wheels for that price.
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wow, I had no idea powder coating could be done for so cheap. Definitely the route to go if you can't afford new wheels and they do look good.