1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pay Attention

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by trimhalifax, Jul 25, 2009.

1. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

:grrrrrr: Driving home from work one day and my truck dies on me.Turns out I ran my tank dry. Not paying attention to my gas gauge ended up costing me $1,100.00 .Now I only let my tank go to half empty.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How would it cost you $1100.00?
  3. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

Killed the pump and sending unit. Most of the cost was labour, they had to drop the tank.
  4. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

WOW! I think you need to invest in a tool set, changing out those parts at the most would take you an afternoon and a rack of beer!
  5. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

Damn

Geez i didnt know that it would kill your pump if you ran out of gas. I thought it would just automatically click off or something.
  6. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Sounds like something else went wrong that may have killed the pump. My gf has ran mine empty 2x and it's still going.
  7. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

yeah gas is a coolant for your fuel pump and when you run it low or on 1/4 all the time your pump is in danger of burning up
  8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I find that hard to believe, I have run my truck empty a couple times trying to push it and never had a problem, I would think that it was something else or just a coincidence, how much were the damn parts?? It literally took 45 min to drop, replace the pump, and strap it back up in place in my suburban.
  9. Stevec

Stevec New Member

Wow, I've been working on mine all evening and I still don't have the tank dropped. I've sure it will take at least the rest of tomorrow. By the way, the book says to disconnect the fuel line and return line before dropping the tank. It appears that the connections are on top of the tank with no way to reach them. Can the tank be at least partialy dropped wth out disconnecting these lines.
    2001 Suburban 5.7 4x4

Thanks
  10. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com Rockstar 100 Posts

pump

WOW was that a gold fuel pump.lol ralph