1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PC Tech advice please for IE

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by dwill3015, Feb 28, 2009.

1. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In the last 2 days when i have IE (Internet Explorer) running, it pops up the error say it has encountered a problem and has to close. After it happening a few times i have tried to debug, turn off the debug feature, download updates from Microsoft etc and IE is still unusable. I happened to have Mozilla firefox installed so I opened it up and it runs like a champ so would i be able to uninstall IE and re-install it? I have scanned for viruses and have tried to google answers but the technical stuff was over my head. I have seen a few members on here that do this kind of thing for a living so please feel free to PM me if you can help.

Thanks!
  2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My advice to you is to stick with firefox. It took me until I don't know 9 months ago to get away from IE. Now the only tome I use IE is when I have to for certain things. And yes you should just be able to re-install IE. Or if you have your windows disk you can do a repair. I would just download IE and install it replacing the curent IE.

Hope that helps.

Scott
  3. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

IE sucks. forefox all the way. no adds no crap, fast and reliable. think of it this way, firefox=chevy
    IE=ford
  4. 1st Synthetics

NICE!:lol:
  5. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 Rockstar 100 Posts

6. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

right now, my pc is doin some real funky things. usually my processor is running at around 30% for each core give or take 15%. in the last 4 days, it had been seriously running hard, both cores are operating at 50% +, sometimes at full capacity for 15-20 seconds at a time! i have 4gb of RAM, an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 dual core processor 5200+, with a 500gb harddrive of which i am using less than a third of the space. i run Kaspersky internet protection antivirus program, and lately it has not been running, and will not turn on. i am going to get into contact with them, but if any one can enlighten me, it will be greatly appreciated
  7. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

there is a free antivirus program called AVG try running that and also, get spybot search and destroy, run that, as for the processor thing, make sure you dont have anything running in the background. have you restarted ? does it still do the same thing?
  8. 1st Synthetics

It is more than likely Kaspersky. All these internet protection programs bog the system down.
  9. plumber_rob

plumber_rob Rockstar 100 Posts

I tried AVG for awhile and my laptop crashed twice do to viruses. I now use Adware 2008, Avira Antivirus, and Zonealarm. I downloaded the free verions from cnet.com. I have been using them for almost a year now and they work great together. I don't like IE cause it sucks but I still have it on my laptop cause some downloads will only download with IE. I like Mozilla Firefox. I have used it for ever.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  10. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar