1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PCV Catch Can Results

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Cowpie, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

Ok, everyone, time to step up the bar cause happy hour is on! Here is a pic of the amount of oil the catch can in my PCV line caught before it went into the intake. If there is any question as to whether a catch can is worth it or not, should put some of that to rest. I put this can on when I last changed the oil. Changed it today with 6150 miles on the oil. The level was down to the first notch below full, which equate to 1/2 pint. From the picture, I know where most of that oil went!

Wouldn't ya' just love to have that stuff caking your intake valves and creating deposits in your cylinders? It is creamy in color because the catch can also removes a lot of condensation moisture that comes thru the line in cold weather.

IMG_3253.jpg
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

Can we see a picture of this catch can?? I thought from the way you made it sound there was a thread on this but I didnt see anything. This is on your 2013? Im kind of surprised that amount of moisture is not seen when the oil is changed without the catch can unless the filter catches most of it.(and like you said in the intake, heads, ect.)Does the technology of todays engines really need something like this? It seems the engines are about the longest lasting part of vehicles these days as it is. Kind of interesting the amount of "dirty oil" that is recylced into the engine.
    Thanks for posting definitely interesting.
  3. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

Here is the CP catch can I have on my 2013 that caught all that oil. The design is best shown at the CP website....

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/High Efficiency Air.htm

Do modern engines need this kind of thing? Depends whether one has no problem of the oil and condensation going thru the PCV and into the intake, and then going on thru the intake valves and combining in the combustion chamber. It has been shown, that oil contamination of the fuel in the combustion chamber can lower the octane level, which the ECM in turn would revert to a different setting to prevent knock which also leads to less mpg and power. This stuff caking the intake valves? Not a pretty picture. And this stuff was caught out of a 2013 with all the AFM corrective mods done at the factory. Each person is going to have to determine if they think it is a problem or not. I wasn't going to play a wait and see game. With all the oil consumption issues that have cropped up regarding valves and pistons needing replaced, as per many TSB's that have come out about these AFM engines, any possibility to reducing future problems gets my attention.

IMG_3256.jpg IMG_3254.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

Nice...definitely a nice add-on thanks again for posting
  5. geraldc

geraldc New Member

would a reroute of PCV line to inbound air duct before TB and cap of PCV intake barb help with this problem ?? On my 1988 GMC 150,000 since rebuild and 1997 Chev 1500 350 15,000 on new engine, PCV line reroute did help with increased vacuum and increased mpg, very little presents of oil, not enough to wipe off. Just do not know about new engines. How can that much oil even get to PCV line if designed right ??
  6. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

I connected one line to the PCV orifice on my 5.3L (no PCV valve on the 2013 model though it does have valve cover baffles that simulate what a valve would do) and the line from the can back to the line in at the top of the intake manifold.

I would think, that this is more of an issue with cylinder deactivated an variable valve timing engines that have come out in the last few years. The oil is really getting flung around in these engines and there is considerable "misting" effect going on. A lot of oil is ending up airborne and is making it into the PCV line. I am not convinced the PCV system on these is designed wrong, but the engine design internally is causing the problem. GM is using oil pan oil deflectors, valve cover baffle deflectors and what not to try to minimize problems with the AFM issues. This oil in the PCV is just a symptom of that.

If you want to see some nasty views of internals that did NOT have a PCV catch can on, you can wade thru this lengthy discussion with pictures here.....

http://www.silveradosierra.com/vortec-5-3l-v8/pcv-catch-can-t92241.html
  7. geraldc

geraldc New Member

Thanks for the link. I am glad you are stopping the oil before going into intake. If PCV line rerouted to enter before TB, would it be better than entering intake after TB ?? To me any vacuum leak hurts all engine. Leak being any thing entering intake after TB.
  8. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

The line from the PCV goes into the intake after the TB on my 5.3L. Right on top of the intake manifold. I didn't reroute anything, I just spliced into the existing line and added some hose to the catch can. There is no possibility of leaking. Everything sealed up nice and tight. For anyone considering this mod, just leave the exit and entry points the same on the engine. Just add the catch can as part of the normal PCV flow to separate out the oil and junk that gets drawn up out of the valve cover before it gets to the manifold.
  9. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

Cowpie, I've been following this thread for about 5 months, and finally got around to the install. I decided to test it first with a standard can, no filter. Anyway, now my question is, with 175K on my '01 1500, how do I get rid of the sludge that has built up in the intake? Is there a reliable chemical additive that is safe and effective, or must I remove the intake and clean it out (which I don't really want to do). thanks! Jim
  10. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

One method that I have heard of others using, though I haven't is injecting Sea Foam cleaner in just before the throttle body while running the engine. Short of tearing things apart, that might be your best alternative. There are ideas about doing this on Sea Foam's site... http://seafoamsales.com