PCV Catch Can Results

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Cowpie, Dec 27, 2013.

1. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

This is a good point.. It has to be something the oil will not break down. On the other hand just because you pay more doesnt mean its quality or all issues have been addressed. Im thinking some sort of steel wool with maybe even a pipe screen on the outlet side for extra protection. What is in the "quality" cans for filter media??

2. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Most of the catch cans will use a fine stainless steel strand type of media. But there are some cautions you have to adhere to, because you don't want a piece of this type getting to a cylinder. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, it is best to just get a catch can that already the R&D has been done and works as it should.

I am partial to the Conceptual Polymer HE can I use, but there are other great catch cans out there. The RevXtreme RX Catch can is a top performer. The Saikou Michi can is a top line one. Both of these cans are more expensive than the CP can but don't offer much, if any, better filtration (though they will claim they do because they have a vested interest in you buying their can). The Moroso catch can, is not bad, but it is not the best. It seems to go down hill from there.

When one is contemplating all of this, it pays to get informed. This is a great read and will give you all you want to know about catch can designs and what is best.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV Line Oil Removal 102.pdf

3. the phantom

Sorry but your telling the wrong guy this...Im always looking at altering, tearing apart and putting back together my way. If I fail at what I do then I learned more than the guy that went and bought the latest and greatest already done for him.. Although I realize the importance of making sure nothing gets sucked into the intake, rest assured I will not let that happen. I figured that if I catch any oil in the can, its better than nothing at all.
    Similiar situation with my NNBS headlight mod.. yup a company already makes color changing halos and they cost a fortune.. Probably have tons of experience putting them in.. Instead I went and spent half the money they want for just the kit to do it to your own headlights and bought all the components including headlights and began my project.
    So after my "cheap" No R&D ebay can gets installed, I will revisit this thread and give some feedback whether it failed or had any success. Im not afraid to fail, because if you are then you'll never try.

P.S. Great read on the link you posted, definitely gave me additional ideas to make sure mine works.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. Cowpie

You can do what you prefer with no grief from me. I am one who like to take advantage of what others have already learned from testing. I have no need or desire to try and reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Each of us has our own path we like to travel. I do hope the best that your project turns out great. At least, for me, it will be fun to see how it plays out.

5. the phantom

Thanks for the encouragement..... Its unfortunate that we have to do this it at all. You would think with all of GM's R&D dollars that the wheel would not have to be re-invented to solve this problem.. IMO we are basically telling GM that they didnt do enough research (on the engine they built) and we can do it better by putting faith in companies that sell these cans.. So I guess in a round about way... You are re-inventing the wheel by using one.:lol:

6. Cowpie

To some degree, I suppose. But it seems more like just trying to take care of something the engineers overlooked. A little pro-active maintenance so I can reduce the reactive maintenance a little.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I just ordered a Watts F501-02AH Coalescing Filter for my truck. I got a heck of a deal on it. I figure if it is good enough to remove oil from air on very high end pneumatic equipment it is good enough for my truck. I hope to get it installed in the next week or 2. I did read the link that was posted above. If my plastic bowl gives me issues I will just order the glass version from cp for $3. my total cost will still come in at less than 1/3 of their cans

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. Cowpie

Chime back in with some results on how that setup works!

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have not had a chance to install it. I will let you know how it goes.

10. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

OK pikey, its been a day or two, lets see some pics andtell us how your can works!
    Inquiring minds want to know!