1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

pcv valve sounds like a bug zapper!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by silleffej, Dec 22, 2010.

1. silleffej

silleffej New Member

I just went out and checked my 1990 5.7L 350 for shorts in the wiring since a mechanic told me at night is the best time to do so. I noticed my pcv valve sounded like a bug zapper buzzing. I am pretty sure this is not normal but I just replaced my pcv valve back in October. I have been doing a lot of diagnostic work on my vacuum lines and egr. Does the buzzing mean it needs replacing already???
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Usually they start buzzing when they are worn out & there is too much clearance btw the ball & the housing, but since you just replaced it in October I'm thinking maybe it's just an inferior brand (China/Taiwan/Mexico) & not made to proper tolerance.
  3. silleffej

silleffej New Member

btw ball and housing,

are you talking about the rubber grommet the pcv plugs into?
  4. stephan

NO, not the rubber grommet. The ball is inside the PCV housing. That is what is rattleing back & forth & buzzing.
    Where did you buy it? Pop it out & see if you can read the vendor on it somewhere.
  5. silleffej

silleffej New Member

it was bought at local auto parts store, I think it is china made. It was rather cheap. would a higher end pcv really perform better?

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I don't even know if there is a such thing as a higher end pcv valve. I have never seen one cost more then a couple of dollars.
  6. stephan

Yes there is a difference btw a good one & a bad one. Yours is a bad one. I've had mine in my truck for 35,000 miles & it's still good. I know you haven't put many miles on your burb since October, so the pcv you got is just a cheap one.
  7. silleffej

silleffej New Member

I took the pcv valve out and shook it. I can still hear a rattle, doesn't that mean it is still good? I will probably replace it anyway but just checking.
  8. stephan

Yes & no. They should rattle when you shake them up & down. This tells you that it is not stuck with crud inside & doesn't need cleaning. That is a test on an old one to see if it is still free, & NOT STUCK, but this is not the problem with yours. Yours is TOO FREE.. You just need a better quality one.