Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Peeling Paint ~ Recall on Chevy Suburban Tahoe Silverado Trucks & SUVs

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 94Suburban, Oct 30, 2008.

1. 94Suburban

94Suburban New Member

Hi All,

I did a internet search and found that GM did a "recall" for defective paint for early 90s trucks and SUVs. That recall has ended a number of years ago. I have a 1994 Suburban that is white. It has the delaminating paint problem that seems to happen to only white vehicles. The recall did not have a 1994 model year vehicle included in the campaign.

Does anyone else have the delaminting of their paint problem? I know I have seen it in other white trucks and SUVs. A person I know has it on their 1997 Suburban and it's also white. The paint just flakes right off exposing the metal. Large portions sometimes inches long just peel right off.

Is there a current TSB or recall or something that GM will repaint the problem vehicles?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know of an active recall. The paint is starting to peel on the hood of my 93 burb in that spot just above the air cleaner. I guess I'm just going to sand and then paint a decorative racing stripe to cover it up. I don't want to mess with trying to match the factory paint so an off color racing stripe should do nicely.:rofl:

3. EagleTalons

EagleTalons Rockstar 100 Posts

On my '93 there is a large portion of paint that has peeled off inside of the hood groove down the middle of the hood.

4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have noticed MANY GM vehicles of almost every color fade and delaminate. Usually I see it in fiberglass first or quarter pannel posts, rear deck lidsor hoods. I believe the first thing that goes is the clear coat and once thats gone the paint soon follows.

5. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My '94 has the clear coat on the roof peeling off. I'm just waiting for it to get bad enough to where the wife can't argue with me about the camo Krylon paint job I have in mind.

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Oooh! Camo good! I might just have to try that!
    [​IMG]

7. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

There is No recall or TSB at this time for the paint problems that still exists. Gm usually puts a limit on the
    amount of time for repairs for certian recalls, the others a GOVT regulated so they can carry on until the parts wear out or no others come forward. So paint on my GM owner...... I know it Sucks...:grrrrrr:

Jeff

8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

We have a 3 tone suburban. Tan on the lower side of the doors, and white on the rest, with a bunch of grey on the hood where the paint peeled and the primer is showing :rofl:

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm getting some emails on this thread, so I'm bumping to start a discussion again.

Someone wrote to me about a 2008 Yukon with peeling Chrome on the doorknobs (I assume that's the external door handle) and also on the bumper.

Anyone else having an issue with a paint on a 2008 Yukon?

Some of what my response:

First off, GMTC is not associated with General Motors. We are a private user-to-user enthusiast forum.

Secondly, almost always these types of issues are caused by chemical products being applied to the vehicle. Armor All, for example, has been proven to fade and dry-out dashboards. Plus, some car detail shops over-polish vehicles and so not properly wipe off polishing products when they are finished.

Now, it may be that there was some bad paint in 2008 on some vehicles and on some colors. That does happen from time to time and it often is a few years before that is known. I know that Ford had some issues with only a few colors of green paint that faded and rusted after about 6 or 8 years and they offered to repaint (I think) anything within a certain timeframe. I'm going off memory here.

Check your owners manual and see what the paint warranty is for your 2008. I don't recall off to top of my head what the mileage/months warranty for paint is actually.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

That's awesome! I was gonna look for a project truck for 2012, but I think I might actually look for a project burban or tahoe now and paint it like that! haha

10. Portia

Portia New Member

I have a White 94 Silverado. The cab roof peels with garden hose pressure as does areas around the door sills. Vehicle has always been garaged when not being driven.