Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

People with Cat Back Systems on their trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mrbrown88, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 Member

I have a 2011 with the 5.3. I just ordered a MBRP cat back system. Whenever you guys put on your system did you throw a check engine light? If so can they turn that off no problem?

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

'05 5.3 with Gibson cat back, no CEL when I did mine.

3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

'05 5.3 Gibson cat back no CEL '07 classic 5.3 Volant cat back no CEL. '05 GTO 6.0 cat back no CEL and buddy put Gibson cat back on '10 5.3 no CEL

4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

'09 with Borla Cat Back. Did you disconnect any sensors on or near the cats when you installed?

5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Don't think he has it yet, I think he's just asking if it will set a CEL. To the OP, you should have no problems with your install because it is exactly what is says, a "cat back", no sensors will be affected since there aren't any after the cat.

6. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

'09 with a Dynomax cat-back system. No CEL at all; I did disconnect my battery neg. while I changed out the systems, though.

7. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

As the others have said, the CEL shouldn't come on unless you do something to the O2 sensors and if it does throw the code, you could always get a DSP or DST and get ride of the code.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I've had cat-backs on everything we've owned and never got a CEL. If you do just go to a parts store like AutoZone and they will clear the code. MBRP makes a great system.