1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Performance Air Intake Advise:

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by aka510, Dec 2, 2012.

1. aka510

aka510 New Member

I'm thinking about changing the intake system on my Silverado. I'm new to the truck world and would love to be able to improve my MPGs. Currently I'm getting at best about 16 on the highway and no better than 14 with mixed highway and city. I have a 2005 Silverado EXT 1500 Z71 with a 5.3 and a 4.10 rear end. I have a tonno cover on order hoping that will not only secure my bed from people with prying eyes and loose morals but also help improve mileage on the highway. Is there more I can do to improve my MPG? I would love to add a Performance Air Intake system but I do not know how to choose these. I can get the GM one (part number 17801346) for about $370. But if there's a better one out there for around the same price then I would be open to that. Is the K&N 77 better? How about Volant? What kind of experience have you had with these or different ones? Are they worth the price? Do they improve MPG enough to make them worth it? If I can't get at least 2 extra miles per gallon then I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Thanks for any advise you can offer me.

--Will
  2. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

2 mpg's more I don't think you're going get that. Maybe if you added to that a tune and exhaust you could get that kind of increase. My suggestion is go with the AirAid MIT and K&N drop in filter. I have it and am extremely happy with it because it has been proven to be better than the almost $400 ones.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Your biggest gas killer is the rear-end ratio.

A CAI is designed to allow freer breathing and to provide cooler (equals denser) air when it is needed, usually at WOT. To obtain higher mpg, you want to use as little air as possible (little air = little gas).

Best results can be seen when the resistance of getting your truck down the road is reduced.
    Tires with a very fine thread pattern (not heavy lugs for off-road).
    A little additional air in the tires (run a couple of lbs over the factory rec.).
    Make sure the brakes are not dragging.
    Check that there is no drag in the front 4x4 (if equip) parts.
    Change the engine oil to full synthetic.
    And most of all, stop driving like you stole it.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sierra11 and Ray hit it right on the head, the only thing I'd add is check the truck for additional items that add weight or drag such as brucsh guards or lots of tools in the bed you rarely use, and look at going full synthetic on axles and trans at the next maintenance.
    A drop in airfilter will give you the best bang for the buck since it's cheaper to buy, doesnt require periodic replacing, and can return a very slight increase in performance and mileage.
  5. aka510

aka510 New Member

Alright, some good advise here and still some research to do. Thanks, guys!

--Will
  6. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Proper street tires at 40-42 psi, and stay in 2WD. Using 4WD on dry pavement will give you lower MPG and increased wear on the 4WD components.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Nothing to add, here; the previous posters have covered all the bases.