Performance Cams for 5.3L

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Marcus, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Marcus

Marcus Rockstar

Hey guys ive doing some research on some aftermarket cams for the GM 5.3L truck motor. I have found some helpful links but not quite the answers im looking for. I have read that the LQ9 stock cam and the LS1 cam should fit right in and add some more ponies. My question is, is there just a cam that you put in without doing anything else to the motor. I was looking for a med-lopey idle. Has anyone done this swap or can someone give me more information on it? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

performance cams for 5.3

The LQ9 cam is the same cam GM is using in the new crate 5.3 HO. Its part # is 12561721. Its is a direct replacement cam, no other modes needed. GM says the stock ECM will adjust to this cam. Also GM # 12560968 cam will bolt in but need ECM tuning. This cam came in 2000 LS1 vettes. It has lots of torque, 500/500lift 198/209 duration at 0.050. Crane has a simular cam at 502/502lift and 200/203 duration. Crane offers a tuner to match this cam.

3. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

gonna keep my eye on this thread. i want to cam my truck too

4. Marcus

Marcus Rockstar

so then i was correct in my findings. So it sounds like its just a straight swap? No tuning needed? Anybody has access to some hp and torque numbers?

5. Big Red 02

Big Red 02 New Member

Same here I'm starting a new project and I need some help:money:

6. silveradotrailblazer

performance cams for 5.3

The GM manual sayes the new crate 5.3 HO is good for 327hp @ 5500 and 347 ft lbs tq @ 4600rpms. The only differance I see on the specs between the 5.3 and 5.3HO is the cam, GM part #12561721. You can find this info in the 2008 GM Performance Parts catolog part #19202324

7. SlickMachine

SlickMachine Rockstar

What's involved in swapping the cams? I've never done it and I'm wondering the degree of difficulty. Also, will it work with a Superchips programmer?

8. jrose7

jrose7 Member

Sounds like you have inadvertently inspired a lot of us to follow this thread.....I too would like a little lope in my 5.3...along with some hp and torque.

9. Prediluted

Prediluted New Member

Camshaft installation is one of the most difficult mechanical things you can do to your engine, other than just pulling it out and rebuilding it.

I haven't done one on this engine...but I helped out with someone that did one on a 95 Camaro.

I believe you would need to pull out the radiator, possibly the AC condensor, everything in the way of the timing chain case, and depending on what else you need to do, the top half of the engine. Pop off the timing chain case, work out the camshaft, put the new one in, line everything up, bolt it all back up.

After that, you will most likely need a new tune for your truck, your timing and A/F ratio's will all be different. Would run without the tune, but you would not get everything out of it, and your gas mileage would be terrible.

10. silveradotrailblazer

performance cams for 5.3

Changing cams in the LS series is very easy. You dont have to remove the intake, just lossen rocker arms, remove push rods,remove front motor parts.Get your new cam ready and turn the old cam 360degrees and the roller lifters will stay up until you install the new cam and when you reinstall the pushrods the lifts will go back down. This is only basic instructions. Theres a book called How toBuild High Performance LS1/LS6s which was wriiten by Will Handzel who was in charge of GM Performance. This is a very good book, It has a truck section and alot of the LS1/LS6 parts cross over. You can order this book from Scoggin-Dickey parts.