1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Performance Chips

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 71Stage1Conv, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 71Stage1Conv

71Stage1Conv New Member

Do any of these actually work? I see more HP and torque, yet better fuel economy... Really?
  2. 71Stage1Conv

71Stage1Conv New Member

I guess they don't...
  3. shaggy08xr

shaggy08xr New Member

The more you add to the truck the more youll see from a custom tuner. Theres a fine line between better performance and gas economy and youll get to a point were your mpg's will sacrifice with performance so you have to decide what you really want. But with just basic bolt on (intake, exhaust ect.) you should see some money going back into your pocket at the pump but dont expect 40 mpg.
  4. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do performance upgrades for performance not better mpg. Buying a couple hundred dollar intake/exhaust system to get 1mpg better is not sound advice IMHO. You will only see the better mpg from the performance if you dont care to hear the new sounds the intake/exhaust will make.

As far as chips....leave that to Lay's. Get a custom tune. Also, it would help if you gave us some info on what you drive.
  5. 71Stage1Conv

71Stage1Conv New Member

I just bought a 09 Silverado with 4.8L, 4 speed auto so I'm not sure of anything yet... I guess I was ebay (not sure), but they were saying up to 4 mpg increase and 35hp or something like that by just installing their chip in place of the factory!

Sounds great, I'd be a fool not to purchase, right? So joined and posted here because I figured tens of thousands of guys own similar drive train, and could verify their claims...

Thanks, Dan
  6. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Dan, post a link to this "magic" chip. If you are looking to do some perfromance mods we can point you in the right direction, but I am thinking this chip is not a good start.
  7. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

New trucks don't take "chips" as such. You can flash a program to the ECU from a tuner, but there is no chip that you replace. The "chips" are for OBD-i and very early OBD-II vehicles.

And I guarantee you it's not going to give you 4 MPG or 35 HP increase. What they advertise is "up to" those amounts. Most of the time they will just richen the fuel mix, which will generally give you less MPG, and might give you 1-2 HP at the crank. Mostly, you just lose $60 or whatever it is they're charging for the magic chips.
  8. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

Dan, you are about to spend 60 bucks you will later wish you had not spent.
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dan, as mentioned by
    ajarman and dobey....the Gains of Increasing your Silverado's Fuel Mileage by 4 MPG and receiving Gains of 35 More H.P. from just Installing this Device"Chip".....sorry to say, but this is Not going to Happen,

Keep in mind, when looking at a Performance Part, in which a Company Expresses that by installing their Part on your Vehicle.....your Vehicle will Receive the Big Gains in H.P. and MPG, like this one has, and It Just Sounds To Good To Be True
    .....In Most Cases It Is!!

Take a look at Black Bear Tunes, going with a Custom Tune will yield you the Best Return on your Investment,

Black Bear,
    Tuning Services
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

like stated a mail order tune or live tune will be your best bang for your buck and also net you the best results. idk about you but when i spend 30k on a truck i want a name brand/respected and tested product under my hood.