1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Performance Chips

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 71Stage1Conv, Jan 3, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I thought all these chips (or Resistors) do is fool the computer that the temperature outside is different than what it actually is causing fuel mixture difference and a timing change. Making it "feel" like its got some pep in its step but really not providing any "performance value". I got one of these resistors for a 95 dodge I had but I never installed it.
  2. darnie1987

darnie1987 New Member 100 Posts

no they do add power and do what they say. best way to decrcibe it is there a one size fits all vs a custom tool. yea a programmer will help and has its place for the every day driver. but people that want the best bang for there buck or have highly modded cars or trucks use a mail order tune/ live tune/ or dyno tune. the better the tune the more power you can squeeze out. the programmers leave alot on the table.
  3. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

If you were replying to the previous post, then that doesn't really apply. Yes programmers will do what they say, generally, but the old performance chips for OBD-1 or early OBD-II cars, or the resistors, do not actually work. All they do is cause the ECM to dump more fuel into the engine, which may add an HP or two in some cases, but generally just makes you spend more money for gas.
  4. zuki82

zuki82 New Member 100 Posts

For all those saying it just dumps more fuel ,so it makes it feel like more power, haven't really had a super chip before! I put a super chip in my 91 , 4.3, 4x4. With other mods it worked well! It doesn't "just dump more fuel", ! My fuel mileage went up and so did my power! To be fair, I also did duel exhaust, Excell high output coil, 8mm wires, splitfire plugs, CAI, and a wire harness splitter that went to the tranny!
    The biggest drag was the moon visor over the windshield, and the second was the off road lights on the roll bar! Putting the visor on took away the couple of MPG I got from all the mods!
  5. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

Sorry, but yes, it does just dump more fuel to make more power. You don't get more power without burning more fuel. There's not a lot of adjustment you can make to the pre-OBD-II or even early OBD-II systems in the chip itself. The "chip" (or MEMCAL as they were called) contains the fuel and spark tables. They might advance the spark a degree or two as well, but the primary thing they do is dump more fuel. None of the "mods" you did would necessarily effect performance or MPG in the way you think it might have; especially if you don't have stock wheels/tires on it.
  6. zuki82

Funny, but I had a lot more power, and better fuel mileage after all was done, even after I put on 33 inch mudders! If it advances the timeing, as you yourself say, then its gonna help! My testing grounds was a long ,steep hill! The truck, stock, couldn't get over it without down shifting out of overdrive and then down one gear! After all mods, and tires, it would stay in overdrive up and over that hill!
  7. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

Good for you. But that's not very scientific. You have dyno charts comparing stock chip and your Superchip, with everything else being the same? Did you change the VSS gear or install an appropriate device to adjust the speedometer reading for your new tires? Do you have 6 months of fuel/miles logs, each with stock chip and the Superchip, and no other changes? Do you have any proof that you were driving the truck in exactly the same way every time for those 12 months?

Whether you want to admit it or not, some of the changes you made will cause a subconscious pyschological effect, such that your driving style can change enough to measurably affect MPG readings, without you knowing that you altered your driving style.

Yes, it's possible that increased fuel and spark advance will give you more power, and when it's made in the right RPM range, that can improve fuel economy as well. But stating it will objectively do so every single time someone installs any arbitrary performance chip, without any scientific evidence whatsoever to support that claim, is just nonsense.
  8. zuki82

Well, dobey, I run that truck for 8 years after those improvements where made! I'm sorry if that aint good enough for you! I see that anytime someone states that they have gotten any kind of improvement from anything at all, without such scientific proof that you just said I should show, your right there to put what they say down! Maybe you have a crew of scientists on hand to research every purchase you make before you make it' just to be sure its too the utmost improvement to whatever your buying it for!
    Some of us good ole boys and those of lower income, who cant support a full scientific shop, must go by" the seat of our pants" research! Put it this way, the damn truck run like a raped ape for 8 years, after those improvements where made! I pulled off those improvements before I traded it in, and it run slow and doggedly again! And it didn't go over the hill in overdrive the last time we took that trip! That's good nuff for me! If you want scientific proof, go buy a 91 WT 4x4 with a 4.3 and do the same improvements I did, and do your own research! THEN you can sit up on your high horse and tell me I'm wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

I just proof read this to my wife, she knew the truck after I made the improvements! Her 1st response was, "That truck could blow the dust off anything out there!"
    She knew what truck I was talking about!