1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Performance & Economy Chips

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rageybug, Aug 27, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. rageybug

rageybug New Member

I see lots of inexpensive "miracle products" listed on E-Bay that promise to add up to 25-50 horsepower and 35+ ft/lbs of torque, and an increase in fuel mileage by 25% or more. All for the low cost of $20!

Has anyone tried any of these products? Is their any truth to their claims? Do they work for more than a couple of months?

Thanks for the replies!
  2. rageybug

rageybug New Member

New member... and it looks like I put this in the wrong category... sorry!
  3. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well, welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard. :glasses:
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet and 'Caveat emptor'...
  5. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club! Don't buy that snake oil.
  6. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C!
  7. Goldie

Goldie New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club! Snake oil by any name is still snake oil. Sound like it is chance for you to poke around the site and get some more answers.
  8. Skippy

Skippy Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. And for the most part, it's all garbage. Very few things will function to improve HP and torque, and the ones that do are very well known. Even those that DO improve things, often do so at rates far less than the advertised "up to XXX HP Gains!" See that "up to" they toss in there? It protects them when the actual value is only 5% of the advertised. LOL

If you have a specific item you're looking at and would like opinions, please let us know. If there's something we're good at it's opinions. :)

Cheers!

-Skippy
  9. rageybug

rageybug New Member

I figured that most of these products are all B.S but I was curious to know if anyone here has tried to use the cheap models and what results they saw... or didn't see. I don't expect lightning in a bottle for $19.99, just curious to here some stories.
  10. Skippy

Skippy Member 100 Posts

A few years ago, I tried Acetone in the gas tank as a means of increasing MPG (the claims all seemed so logical). Totally bogus. In fact, Mythbusters ran an episode on it as well. I ran multiple tanks with exact precision to determine... lost mileage everytime. The ONLY time I "thought" I got mileage gains was the first tank, but that's now understood that I changed my driving behavior, because I was paying attention. That's probably the most common reason people "think" they get better results.

The tornado in the air intake, magnets on the fuel lines, and most of the additives are proven to be bunk.

Consumer Reports shows 3 of them here:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/gas-saving-devices-tested/index.htm

-Skippy
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012