1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Performance tuners vs chips for 2012 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Ryansgirl, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Ryansgirl

Ryansgirl New Member

Needing information on the best performance programmers or chips. I know they can get VERY expensive, so if I could get a few options that'd be GREAT! Thanks!

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

****Thread Moved****
    To The
    GM PowerTrain Tech Section

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Honestly a chip that can't accept a custom tune is a waste of money if you plan on modding your truck. I've have a a few different ones and I ended up with a diablo in tune and love it. It has tons of adjustments and you can get our diablo vendor to hook you up with a deal on the programmer and custom tunes

4. Ryansgirl

Ryansgirl New Member

Thank you ahmitchell1. From what I've found searching the internet, chips are out and programming is in. Will programming void GMC warranty? I've found BBP and Diablo to be the preferred two. Looking around the $500 range...

5. ahmitchell1

My dealer allowed me to have a programmer without voiding my warranty but every dealer is different some wont even touch your truck and blame it on the programmer . Somebody will chime in who knows more about that and the laws going along with it

6. Ryansgirl

Ryansgirl New Member

Yeah...the dealer the truck was bought from are real jerks. So, I'm sure it'll be a nightmare.

7. ahmitchell1

That sucks I just bought my last truck to make me a lifetime fleet customer so they treat me right and I get amazing deals. Find you a good dealer n see what they say

8. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

A majority of dealers will void the warranty if they detect a different program running the computer than factory, and I've heard similar issues with getting smog checks done. The good news is that with Diablo systems, you can always flash the computer back to stock before taking it in for service. Always better to be safe than sorry! I bought the Trinity tuner, and haven't looked back!

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This. The Trinity might be overkill now that the InTune is out.

10. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have a Edge Programmer. Don't know much about the others but the Edge people are quick to care for any problem that may arise. I keep mine on level 4, the performance setting. When I pass on the road this baby really accelerates! You are right about the units being pricey though. As for the chip......I wouldn't. Cheaper but not much help! 4 levels of performance and you can re-flash to stock when you take your truck in for service.:glasses: