1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Performance Upgrades for 2000 Silverado 5.3L

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by daman4469, Jan 10, 2012.

1. daman4469

daman4469 New Member

Hi all, I'm sure this question is long in the tooth, but hopefully not. I have a 2000 Chevy silverado, 5.3L extended cab, 4wd, lifted 3 inches. I am looking for some bolt on enhancements (for performance)...I have a cold air intake, Flowmaster exhaust, and a chip installed. Just wondering if there are any other enhancements out there....a little mechanical know-how is ok...I have a lot of tools! Ideas?

-Rob
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Rob, the one item I would mentioned to what you already have installed, and that is a Set of Headers, and going with a Set of Long Tubes Headers will yield you Better Gains than a set of Short Tube Headers......
  3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Dido on the long tube headers, Mike knows his stuff. Just an Idea, if you have lots of money you can always slap on a Vortech supercharger. Just an idea.
  4. daman4469

daman4469 New Member

Thanks guys. Supecharger....eh, I'll pass on that, even though it would be awesome! As far as headers...what all is involved? Easy swap? If it can be done in a day, I'll do it.
    -On a side note, would that change my exhaust tone? Not that it matters, just curious.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Unlike Shortly Headers which for the most part would be a direct bolt-on swap of the exhaust manifolds, Installing Long Tube Headers, the one down side is your exhaust will need to be re-worked,.......as far as a change in the Tone of your Exhaust, yes to some degree there will be different Tone to your Exhaust.
  6. daman4469

daman4469 New Member

How noticable is the difference? Any cost estimates? Is it worth the cost?
  7. Jackalope

Jackalope New Member

It will be LOUD! I don't care who makes them, they will be LOUD. But yes, that's the next step. After that you're looking at cam/heads to improve performance. Just something to think about .... a lot depends on what sort of gain you're looking for. If just better acceleration or more pulling power, you may find that changing your rear end ratio gears may give you more than any reasonable engine modification will. Of course, there's a downside, lower gears equal lower gas mileage.