GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Performance Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by thegame30, Dec 9, 2008.

1. thegame30

thegame30 New Member

Just bought a 09 Chevy Colorado, what performance upgrades would you suggest. I am considering buying exhaust, cold air intake, and either a programmer or chip. What is the best products for the most possible horsepower gains. I want the most bang for my buck but also want the most possible horsepower gains from those three. Is it possible to reach the 350-360 horsepower range from adding those three upgrades? Any help would be appericated.

thanks.
  2. retired

retired New Member

You will get the most bang for your buck with all but the chip.
  3. WestCoastColy

WestCoastColy New Member

A CAI, exhaust and tune will give you some nice gains. Especially with the 5.3L Colorado (nice buy!).

However, I don't think anything has been released as of yet for your truck. There are guys haveing performance mufflers installed. An H3 ALPHA CAI may fit but has not been confirmed.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

Like said above, availability may be a question at this point. I would bet you could get pretty close to the 350 hp mark though. Good luck!
  5. thegame30

thegame30 New Member

Thanks guys! I really figured it would take a while for upgrades. It will probably be late spring or early summer before i do anything, hopefully by then they will have something out. I was thinking flowmaster exhaust, and k&n CAI. Are those good choices? As far as progammer i really dont know. Thanks WestCoastColy, I love my new truck, (Dude will MOVE!!), just want quicker throttle response time.

Thanks,
  6. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member

Dude I want to check out one of these 5.3 colorado's. Don't get me wrong I love my truck and all but seeing one of these would be kinda cool. Pics please.:sign0020:
  7. thegame30

thegame30 New Member

Should have pics up in about a week or less. Other than that it is a 4-door crew cab, Black Granite Metallic paint, sunroof, 18" premium alloy wheels, it really is a sweet looking truck (when it is clean). Just remember i live in Missouri and will try to catch a good time when it is clean and doesnt have a lot of road salt on it (pisses me off).
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

You could get 360 HP out of a 5.3, what is tock at 315 or 320? Chip, exhaust and air filter should do it.
  9. daddytech

daddytech New Member

you'll probably get up there pretty good with the chip and the cold air intake provided the intake tube has a K&N filter on it. but the exhaust is where you'll get the most performance gain. I personally recommend flowmaste, You'll probably hear 5 or 6 other suggestions and some of them will give you similar performance but there's nothing like the sound of a flowmaster in my book.
  10. WestCoastColy

WestCoastColy New Member

Realistic numbers should be in the 330-340hp range. There isn't a CAI system out yet nor a full cat-back exhaust system. I'm not sure if HPTuners has cracked the PCM as of yet either. I haven't had a chance to cruise their forum yet.

Here's a Dark Gray Metallic ZQ8 with the 5.3L
    [​IMG]
  11. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

I noticed that "JET" is advertising a "cihp" for the new Colorados, but I didn't notice if it included the 5.3.
  12. WestCoastColy

WestCoastColy New Member

Yeah, a few have tried both the Stage 1 and the Stage 2 and did not gain anything but firmer more annoying shifts.
  13. RMJackson

RMJackson New Member