1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Perhaps a dead horse?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gnel, May 16, 2009.

1. gnel

gnel New Member

Hello all. I'm new to this fine site and I hope this question has'nt been asked to many times? I'm looking to buy a 2002 to 2005 sub and was wondering what the real world MPGs are on a 6.0 with a 3.73 rear end. Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks g
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Not a good vehicle to consider if you are worried about mileage. Smaller SUV's or a mini-van would be a better choice. I bought my burb for occasional towing, trips to Lowe's, swap meets, and regular people hauling. When I first bought it, I calculated mpg's in the range of 10-12 and then forgot about it. It isn't a commuter friendly vehicle unless car pooling with a full load.

Consider what you want to use the burb for and if the utility meets your need, then damn the mpg's. Full speed ahead!
  3. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider New Member

couldn't have said it better myself, with a truck you'll be looking at 20-23mpg easily.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I dont believe the sub ever had the 6.0, they either had a 5.3 (1500)or 8.1 (2500)and that was it, the yukon XL however had the 6.0 but only in the denali version. If a Chevy Suburban did I have NEVER seen one for sale with a 6.0 in my area. My uncle is very happy however with the 6.0 in all of his work trucks and gets around 15 hauling/towing in extended cab long box 4x4
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
  5. gnel

gnel New Member

Sorry about the 6.0 post. I was reading Suburban history and I thought they said that the 6.0 was the motor for those years. MY BAD. I currently own a 84 sub with the 6.2 detroit diesel. I love this truck but the old lady wants something from this century. I read it(2002-2006) was rated 12 in town 17 highway and an average of 15. Is this BS or what? I know this vehichle is a gas guzzler no big deal. It will be used for family trips maybe 10,000 miles a year. Is 15 mpg realistic? Thanks g
  6. TexasT

TexasT New Member

6.0 installed in plenty of 2500 Suburbans from those years. I don't have first hand experience, but my brother's company has a bunch of CC pickups with that engine as well as the 8.1. He says there isn't a whole lot of difference in the mileage of the two but the 8.1 has a bunch more power. I'd go drive them and see what you think.
  7. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member

IMHO this is what I think.

If you are looking strictly for a people hauler that is good on gas and a good family vehicle, I would look at a Montana. I had a montana for about 4 years, and a couple times drove over 1100kms on one tank ( yes we were on fumes). HOWEVER...

NOTHING COMPARES TO DRIVEN A BURB!

I bought my burb because I have to haul 3 (soon to be 4 kids) wife, 2 LARGE dogs (st bernard, and great pyranese). Then I decided... HEY I can haul a trailer. so we bought a 13' camping trailer....

well, that wasn't big enough, so we just bought a 30' trailer that sleeps 10.

This is a very fun and addicting truck. If you want mileage I agree with everyone else here... this is not the truck you want. I will never buy another truck again unless its a burb. I looked at the yukon denali XL, and an expedition. I don't like them. There is something about the burb and how its built, runs, and what you can do with it.

I just love my truck. and I Will tell anyone looking for a truck that this is a great truck.

I have had my share of problems with it and to be honest it was worth it.

I know this is getting off track so I will jump back. LOL

Look for the 5.3L 8 seater, with the tow package, or go a little older and get the vortec 5.7L. Ive been trying to buy a diesel in those years... and it looks like I might have to build one... PROJECT.

anyways.... thats my two cents..I kinda went on a tangent there... sorry