Perhaps a dead horse?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gnel, May 16, 2009.

1. gnel

gnel New Member

Hello all. I'm new to this fine site and I hope this question has'nt been asked to many times? I'm looking to buy a 2002 to 2005 sub and was wondering what the real world MPGs are on a 6.0 with a 3.73 rear end. Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks g

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not a good vehicle to consider if you are worried about mileage. Smaller SUV's or a mini-van would be a better choice. I bought my burb for occasional towing, trips to Lowe's, swap meets, and regular people hauling. When I first bought it, I calculated mpg's in the range of 10-12 and then forgot about it. It isn't a commuter friendly vehicle unless car pooling with a full load.

Consider what you want to use the burb for and if the utility meets your need, then damn the mpg's. Full speed ahead!

3. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider Rockstar 100 Posts

couldn't have said it better myself, with a truck you'll be looking at 20-23mpg easily.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I dont believe the sub ever had the 6.0, they either had a 5.3 (1500)or 8.1 (2500)and that was it, the yukon XL however had the 6.0 but only in the denali version. If a Chevy Suburban did I have NEVER seen one for sale with a 6.0 in my area. My uncle is very happy however with the 6.0 in all of his work trucks and gets around 15 hauling/towing in extended cab long box 4x4

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  5. gnel

gnel New Member

Sorry about the 6.0 post. I was reading Suburban history and I thought they said that the 6.0 was the motor for those years. MY BAD. I currently own a 84 sub with the 6.2 detroit diesel. I love this truck but the old lady wants something from this century. I read it(2002-2006) was rated 12 in town 17 highway and an average of 15. Is this BS or what? I know this vehichle is a gas guzzler no big deal. It will be used for family trips maybe 10,000 miles a year. Is 15 mpg realistic? Thanks g

6. TexasT

TexasT Member

6.0 installed in plenty of 2500 Suburbans from those years. I don't have first hand experience, but my brother's company has a bunch of CC pickups with that engine as well as the 8.1. He says there isn't a whole lot of difference in the mileage of the two but the 8.1 has a bunch more power. I'd go drive them and see what you think.

7. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

IMHO this is what I think.

If you are looking strictly for a people hauler that is good on gas and a good family vehicle, I would look at a Montana. I had a montana for about 4 years, and a couple times drove over 1100kms on one tank ( yes we were on fumes). HOWEVER...

NOTHING COMPARES TO DRIVEN A BURB!

I bought my burb because I have to haul 3 (soon to be 4 kids) wife, 2 LARGE dogs (st bernard, and great pyranese). Then I decided... HEY I can haul a trailer. so we bought a 13' camping trailer....

well, that wasn't big enough, so we just bought a 30' trailer that sleeps 10.

This is a very fun and addicting truck. If you want mileage I agree with everyone else here... this is not the truck you want. I will never buy another truck again unless its a burb. I looked at the yukon denali XL, and an expedition. I don't like them. There is something about the burb and how its built, runs, and what you can do with it.

I just love my truck. and I Will tell anyone looking for a truck that this is a great truck.

I have had my share of problems with it and to be honest it was worth it.

I know this is getting off track so I will jump back. LOL

Look for the 5.3L 8 seater, with the tow package, or go a little older and get the vortec 5.7L. Ive been trying to buy a diesel in those years... and it looks like I might have to build one... PROJECT.

anyways.... thats my two cents..I kinda went on a tangent there... sorry