Phantom Electrical Issue - 2005 Silverado

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by 05Silverado4.8, Apr 23, 2013.

1. 05Silverado4.8

05Silverado4.8 New Member

Hello, I became a member of this forum to see if anyone can help me with my problem. I have a 2005 Silverado with a 4.8 Vortec. This truck has 199,000 miles and I recently put a new motor in it and had the transmission rebuilt. Except for rebuilding the transmission, I did the work myself. It's been running well and I am real happy. About 1500 miles after the engine swap, I was driving one night and the engine died, the doors unlocked (as if I had turned the key off), but the engine came back on, the doors re-locked and the truck resumed normal operation. This all transpired in probably less than two seconds. I spoke to a couple of people who are familiar with these trucks and googled my problem. The thing I kept hearing was that It was possibly a bad ground. I have checked the ground strap from the firewall to the back of the engine and the ground cable from the battery to the block. Those connections are tight and without any corrosion. I also read to check the two ground wires at the frame beneath the driver's door. There is no sign of corrosion there either. I continued to drive it without any issue for a couple of weeks until recently. It did the same thing with the engine cutting in and out and the doors unlocking and locking, but this time it occurred multiple times in succession. This time the information center flashed to have my brakes serviced and my brake light and ABS light have come on in the dash. I got the truck home and it has sat while I have been driving my car instead. I read where a ground wire beneath the battery can cause this problem but I pulled the battery tray completely out and there is no ground wire there. There is a ground wire coming from the negative cable on the battery that runs to the front bumper support on the drivers (battery) side and this connection looks solid but there is some corrosion. I will have to pull the lower bumper cover to properly clean this connection. Has anyone else had this problem? I really don't think the issue is related to the recent engine swap as I drove it without any problem for several weeks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. donyms

donyms New Member

Wow, I have no idea unless it turns out to be a bad ground but welcome to the club, it's good to have you here. :glasses:
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Welcome! :great:

Sorry you're having trouble. The corroded ground location you mentioned is the logical next step -- as that's a primary ground location for the battery to the frame. If that checks out then I'd begin to chase down the major positive connections from the battery. The reason is that the problem is pervasive enough to affect multiple systems ... suggesting a primary connection to the truck. And if you've ruled out the major grounds, then start at the battery and commence checking the +12v lines ... to the red terminal box, to the alternator, and into the engine compartment's fuse block (as well as the major fuses in the box).
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

Welcome to the G M T C !
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Welcome to the Club!!!!

****Thread moved to correct section of Forum****
  6. dpeter

dpeter New Member

I do not recall exactly but there was another thread with similar symptoms and turned out to be a wire that passed thru the fire wall and was shorting causing some systems to go out. I would not think there is a main ground failure causing the power to go out as there would be no power to unlock the doors if this was to occur. Maybe something to do with the ignition switch perhaps.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Did you ever have any luck chasing this down, [MENTION=16809]05silverado[/MENTION]4.8?