Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Pickup Truck Tailgate Up Or Down Aerodynamics Tested

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Enkeiavalanche, May 28, 2013.

1. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

That black plastic around the wheel well is hard to keep looking black. Doesn't take long and it turns gray. I was hoping Chevrolet was done with the cladding after the Avalanche.

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Only the 2014 Sierra has the dumb black plastic around the wheel wells, the 2014 Silverado does not (thankfully). At least from all the pictures I have seen.

I gather that dumb plastic around the wheel wells and cheezy ebay LEDs around the headlights makes the 2014 Sierra more "Professional Grade".

3. 1ATony

1ATony Rockstar GMTC Sponsor 100 Posts

I saw the Mythbusters one. I wonder if a bed cover helps to improve gas mileage at all, on the race trucks used in the NASCAR Camping World Series they sheet metal over the back of them.

Would have been interesting if they tried that in the wind tunnel as well.

4. steved

steved Former Member

As someone else mentioned, I would bet that would depend on the cover and existing truck characteristics in the tunnel...if the wind already passes over the bed without turbulence, then adding a cover might be a wasted effort; a loose toneau flapping in the wind (my dad's truck comes to mind) might actually cause drag where as a hard toneau might not have as much drag, but weigh nearly 100 pounds (added weight negates fuel savings).

5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This is what I was going to say. Mythbusters concluded that tailgate up results in better MPGs than tailgate down.

6. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

The mudflap is for when your stuck, have it in reverse and have your drivers door open and looking back that you dont cake the inside of your door and face with mud:lol:Had a friend do that and thought it was funny.

And yet I still see many people drive around with their tailgate down.:no:

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Grrrrr, the OP in this thread is from TruckingTimes ... and Google Chrome flagged the entire Chevy Truck Talk forum because of the content in the ONE POST that was copied from that other website.