1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

pics of a rusted out GMC YOKON

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mercedesdoc, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mercedesdoc

mercedesdoc New Member

here is pics of my 2001 yukon that is rusted out. I keep this truck in pristine condition and look how it rusted out and has cause water damage. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Wow, that's some pretty serious rust!!
  3. mercedesdoc

mercedesdoc New Member

GMC wont do anything about it, clearly i is a factory problem, yet they claim its cause i live in south Florida where it rains salt water, can you believe that?
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Wow those pictures make me glad that I don't have those cab lights, although yours is the roof rack but it's the same concept. I wonder if they all rust like that, because I can see that you wax the roof which most people don't do on these big vehicles. I would think the dealer would warranty that, because it was caused from an OEM piece of equipment. Now if you put that roof carrier on after market yourself, I could see where they would dispute it then.

What are you going to do about that, just seal it up with silicone or what? I would imagine that a roof would cost a fortune, especially since it's a GMC. Hope you get it fixed somehow, good luck.
  5. mercedesdoc

mercedesdoc New Member

yes that is a factory installed roof rack, GMC says it needs a new roof at a sum of 3,000.00
    So I have no choice but to get a lawyer and have GMC repair this. I have also contacted NHTSA to suggest a recall, as this will happen to lot of more cars.
  6. mercedesdoc

mercedesdoc New Member

here is a copy a cut and pasted right out the GMC web site.

Corrosion Protection

GMC vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your GMC dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

And it is not recommended for any additional rust inhibiting
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

I think there is someone else on here with the same problem and his truck is the same age. He is getting a new roof on the General (Government?)
  8. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Serious rust indeed. Good find on the warranty information. It shouldn't matter where you live - as you found they state that it should be good for 100k/6y... they said it, they should stand behind it.
  9. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Truly sad! I hate to see that happen esp. on newer trucks.
  10. ahm1127

ahm1127 Member

Thanks, I have a 2005 but I think I will take my roof rack off to check since GM is so willing to work with there customers. Wouldnt that also be safety issue if you had stuff attached to roof? Good luck.