Picture Upload ~ Help Needed (Getting Upload Errors?)

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by BlackedOut010, Apr 27, 2011.

1. BlackedOut010

BlackedOut010 New Member

OK, so im having some issues uploading pictures. I'm very familiar with computers and ive never had any problems uploading anything except on this forum haha. Can anybody kind of give me a walkthrough on what in the world i need to do? obviously im doing something wrong

2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am not sure if I do it correctly, but how I upload pics in a thread is I first save them to my photobucket account and then copy the direct link over and click attach image and copy it in the url feild. Once I have done that I uncheck the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box and then hit insert image. Works every time for me. I had troubles uploading pics to my account and then putting in threads so I just went the photobucket way. Let me know if that helps.

3. BlackedOut010

BlackedOut010 New Member

Thanks man! ive never had a photobucket since facebook is out there. i normally just create albums on there. Ive got some pictures uploading to photobucket right now and i will see if i can get them to upload. Thanks again

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The #1 problem people have when uploading files is the file size.

Right now we can process either 1 MB or 2 MB (I don't recall) photos for upload and that's it. As digital cameras get better, the file sizes get larger so this is becomming a bigger problem all the time, but at the same time most sites have limits (like Facebook for example) for file upload size so we're not alone.

That being said, the one thing I don't want people to do is to rely on Photobucket, and specifically to UN-check the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally". When someone does that then when the take down the photobucket photos we will show a big [x] on the screen instead of a photo.

If you need help resizing photos, you can download picasa for free at www.google.com/picasa and it can resize a bunch of photos for you and save them to a folder so you can upload from your computer.

5. BlackedOut010

BlackedOut010 New Member

When the photos are uploaded into picaso, are they automatically resized or is that something i need to do manually? i cant find a resize option in the program

6. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My bad Steve.........

7. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Steve's right... when images get deleted (and sometimes even moved around) in photobucket, it kind of trashes up threads that the images were posted in. I just make it a point not to delete photos. I've never approached file storage limits on photobucket but I can't even keep my head above water when it comes to dealing with storage limitations on forums.

I use photobucket, never delete photos, and just post the link that is provided by photobucket in my thread post. Pretty simple.

Sorry too, Steve. For now, it's just easier. Don't worry though... unless photobucket goes bankrupt and has to sell all of their servers, you should never see an [X] for my images!

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Picasa is a tool that was bought/created by Google and it oranizes your photos (it will scan your hard drive) and allows you to do simple edits and even a pretty cool face-recognition thing too.

One of the other features in Picasa is that you can select a group of images on your system, then "export" them to a different directory and down-size them. So you can take a very large 5 MB photo (or a bunch of photos) that are great for printing and resize them all to 800x600 photos that are ideal for the web and will end up being anywhere from 50k to 150k (which is like 1% to 3% of the original file size).

The point about PhotoBucket is 1) they do make it VERY easy to take your raw photos from your camera and upload them, then share them anywhere - which is fine. However, if you don't select that checkbox to "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" then IF you delete your PhotoBucket account and/or rearrange the photos, then they will lose the connection on here.

We're not going to block anyone from using PhotoBucket, and I do realize that it's initially easier for people. I've got to figure out how to make image upload easier on here.