1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pilot vs Traverse

Discussion in 'Chevy Traverse Forum (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave)' started by wmkess, Dec 12, 2013.

1. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

My wife and I are in the market for midsize SUV with 3rd row seating. We are still young and styling is a huge factor which helped us narrow it down to the Pilot and Traverse. We considered the CX-9 but it seemed like all of the used ones we found were a few grand more than similar equipped Traverses and Pilots.

I know this a GMC forum and there will be lots of support for the Traverse but if anyone can provide any input it would be appreciated. Right now we are leaning towards the Pilot. Primarily due to price but also it seems to have a better reliability and service record. The price gap isn't huge but locally, we have found many Pilots with either the EX-L or Touring package for a couple thousand less than LT model Traverses with similar mileage and much cheaper than any LTZ models. We do like the cargo space and middle row seating options in the Traverse better, as well as the ride and overall driving comfort. I think our main concern are the many negative reliability reviews we have read on the Traverse. 2009's seemed pretty bad. I know that was the release year but I would hope for a little better reviews also on the 2010 and 2011 which is probably the newest we could afford if we got a well equipped one.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, comments, and/or opinions. Thanks.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We went from a trailblazer suv to the Traverse and have not had any issues at all with the vehicle except for owner caused issues like dirt, etc.

The only thing I would do different is go for a model with rear captains seats instead of a 2nd row bench. Otherwise have not had any issues and we constantly use all of the cargo space.
  3. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

Thanks for the reply. The rear captains seats are definitely an advantage for the Traverse as the Pilot doesn't offer those.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah. You do lose one seat ... but we right now have 1 kid in a full time locked in car seat and another in a booster seat. So in the 2nd rear we have to move the booster seat around to lower the 30 (I guess it's a 70/30 split bench ... whatever you call it, the small side) percent side so the kids dont constantly climb over the seats.

Have you heard of any significant quality and/or longevity issues on any of the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave vehicles?
  5. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

I have not seen many major issues like with transmission or the engine itself. Just a ton of minor issues with secondary things that can be fixed easily but still costly if they require a dealer do the work. I should say I've primarily looked at 2009 and 2010 reviews as the newer models with lower miles are mostly out of our price range. Since this vehicle was introduced in 2009 maybe the kinks were worked out by 2011. And maybe a 2011 or newer with higher miles would in fact be more reliable and less hassle than a lower mileage 2009 or 2011. We still have a lot of research to do though but we are in no rush.