1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pinch welds getting dented at tire shops...anyone had this? '87 s15 jimmy 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by mjunkaged, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mjunkaged

mjunkaged New Member

Hey all:
    I have had the pinch welds (bottom of rocker panels below doors/body) damaged THREE TIMES over the years, last time just last month, by two different tire/service shops, but have never actually seen how it's being damaged. My pics show the damage that's happening, and where.
    One shop told me it happens when they lift the vehicle up by the pinch welds. Anyone experienced this? It's especially nice when the shop lies to your face and claims they didn't damage it, bla bla bla.

By the way, this has never happened when I take the truck in to the dealer!

Attached Files:

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

If their lift has the adaptors on the ends of the lift arms the adaptors stick up just far enough to hit the pinch welds, on some lifts the adaptors can be removed when not needed, they sit down in a hole and just lift out, but many shops leave them in place since they normally dont pose a problem. They can also spread the lift arms a little wider to make the adaptors clear the pinch welds.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Why are they lifting it on the pinch weld and not the frame rails? That is a rookie mistake. when I working in the garage all trucks were lifted by the frame not pinch welds. You only use pinch welds on unibody vehicles where a frame is not available.
  4. 95K1500

95K1500 New Member

first off those shops should not be lifting your jimmy by the pinch welds it should be lifted on the frame like a normal pickup truck/SUV. but it is very common to see vehicles with crunched up pinch welds (i see it all the time when i go to lift cars at work). cars get lifted by the pinch welds not trucks.