1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pinion torque specs?? Plz help

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by zach93, Oct 4, 2009.

1. zach93

zach93 New Member

I have a 1993 Suburban K1500. It's got a 350 with a 10-bolt rear end. I have a leaky pinion seal and housing seal so I am planning on replacing the seals in the very near future.

Problem is I need to know what to torque the pinion to after I replace the seal?? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Zach
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

10 bolt pinion torque spec

Fyi..................

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

You can replace the pinion seal without changing the crush sleeve. You have to do it a little differently though. First mark the position of the nut with a chisel or other method so you can tighten it back to exactly the same place. Next remove the nut and change the seal. Then use lock-tight on the threads and tighten the nut back to where it was. The trick is to get it tight as possible without crushing the sleeve any more then it already is crushed. This method works every time is done precisely as described. If the nut is loose then the crush sleeve must be changed.
  4. zach93

zach93 New Member

Thats it?? 24-32 INCH pounds?? I thought the pinion nut would be more like 50-75 FOOT pounds? Is that really all it takes? I figured since the drive shaft has all that force going to the pinion, it would need a lot more than that...

Zach
  5. bucklti

bucklti New Member

The inch pound rating is the force required to turn the pinion after the crush sleeve has been crushed.
    The actual torque required to crush the sleeve is probably in the hundreds of foot pounds. I had to use a breaker bar, a pipe, and stand on it to crush that sleeve.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Zach,

The torque setting is for checking the preload on the bearing. If you would like to get a new crush sleeve and crush it then we're talking over 100 ft lbs of torque.

Do you want to do this the easy way? If so forget about torque settings and do it the way I described in an earlier post.

If you want to use a torque wrench then buy a crush sleeve and pull the axles and carrier out. Then measure the existing torque it takes to turn the pinion shaft with an inch lbs torque wrench. This is the turning torque you want after changing the seal and reusing old pinion bearings. Any tighter than this will wipe out the old bearings real fast.