Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Pink coolant?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SoCal Chevy, Nov 28, 2009.

1. SoCal Chevy

SoCal Chevy Rockstar 100 Posts

So i allway say this bottle of pink fluid under my hood but never knew wat it was for. i just assumed it was like soap or something for the winsheild washer. but when i found my real winsheild washer tank i started to wonder wat its was for and eventuall i found that it was my reserve coolant tank. so now im wondering why its pink instead of green? does this mean it has to be changed or do chevy dealerships just use some sort of pink coolant???

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Starting in the late '90's, GM started using Dexcool which they dyed orange instead of green. I can see it being called red or pink, as well. If you are talking about the radiator overflow, then that is likely what it is.

3. SoCal Chevy

alright thanx. i just went to o'reily and they told me the same thing. thanx for the info

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

All GM vehicles are pink when brand new, but that can all change after a couple of years anyways. On my 2001 S-10 it has had a coolant leak for the past 3 years, and I have topped it off so many times that it is now pi$$ yellow. I use Prestone 50/50 to top it off, that is what the dealer recommended would be safe with Dexcool. Dexcool is known for a sludge build up problem in older GM vehicles, even on my truck there is an algae growing on the inside of the coolant tank which is normal for Dexcool. This winter I am having it flushed and refilled with Prestone only, a lot of guys do this when the vehicles are brand new to void damaging the heater core later on.

5. SoCal Chevy

i just bought a bottle of dex cool and it was made by prestone? now im confused...

6. TRPLXL2

You probably payed a lot for that bottle of Dex Cool, just out of curiousity how much was it? I pay $8.97 for the Prestone 50/50 at Wal-Mart, the only thing nice about the Prestone 50/50 is you can mix it in case of emergency if your out some where and can't find it. I've never bought the Dex Cool for any of the vehicles I have ever had, I guess it might be personal preference.

If you do a search on here about Dex Cool you will find a thread that John (DR. Zero) started a while back, it shows pictures of what Dex Cool does to your radiator and affected components. Pictures don't lie, he had his radiator flushed and it looked like cream of wheat coming out of it.

7. TRPLXL2

8. SoCal Chevy

oh wow.... thats some pretty sick stuff.. thanx for the advice amy and i think im gunna look into this a little more and think about getn my radiator flushed. is thatere anything i shull know about putting in green coolant that culd harm my engine?

oh and i wasnt payn attention but i think it was around 12 bucks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  9. SoCal Chevy

so i have another question. if dex cool is apperantly so bad for your cooling system, y does gm still use it?

10. TRPLXL2

We have always used the Prestone 50/50 (green stuff) in all of our vehicles, and we have never had a problem with any of them. On the same note I have never had a problem with Dex Cool either until my S-10, now keep in mind my truck has never bee flushed since I have owned it new so since 2000! Air conditioning works perfect and the heater works beautifully, the only reason I am having it flushed is because of the algae build up in the tank. I have also been told that when doing this on a truck as old as mine for the first time, you take a chance that you could destroy the heater core. I could end up with more damage actually doing the flush.

And as far as GM using Dex-Cool, they probably get a million gallons of it for a discounted price! Also that's guaranteed product turn around, build something that WILL fail and the customer will trade it in and get a new one! :lol: Hey I wouldn't put it past them, if they built something flawlessly that lasted forever that would kill sales because people wouldn't have a need to buy a new one every two years. I can tell you from first hand experience that they don't build the new one's nearly as good as they used to, it's all a part of cutting the overhead to make the bottom line.

Git R Done GM! :party: