1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

pipe between cat and muffler

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by nstaricha, Aug 21, 2009.

1. nstaricha

nstaricha New Member

Heres my question....im about to order a muffler and dude at the shop was saying get an inlet diameter of 3" with two outlets at 2.5".

My question is...should I get the 3"in or bring that down to 2.5" like the rest of the piping? Would I be able to run 2.5" all the way to the cats, then connect that 2.5" pipe to the new 3" pipe going into the muffler? When i aked him why 3" he really didnt provide a good explination.
  2. ragin'rado04

ragin'rado04 New Member

Going through the same myself, Chevy trucks stock have 2 3/4 in ehaust, hope this helps
  3. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow New Member

a 3" pipe will alow you to drop some of that back pressure and free up a few ponies if you went 3" all the way you would loose some due to stock motors not needing such a high flow
  4. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

ive heard some people lose power, because its suppose to have a certain back pressure.

Theres this guy on a diff. forum and he was saying he had the Electric Exhuast cutouts, and he ran slower times in the 1/4 mile, when he had them open then when he had them closed. He later ran them closed on launch and opened em when he was on full open throttle down the track.

i dont think it will matter much in your situation though.

:) just my opinion