Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Piston slap... Is it fatal?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dpeter, Nov 23, 2012.

1. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I have the 5.3 with the infamous cold start piston slap. With the arrival of the colder weather it has become much more pronounced than in the past. Will this eventualy turn into broken piston without intervention or can it be left as is for the next 75K miles? it has 135k miles now.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The experts will tell us, that if it goes away when the engine is warm, it should cause any more harm.

I don't know what to believe.

3. cdffireboy

cdffireboy New Member

I had that slap on my 01 from the time I got it with 67k miles and when I sold it recently at 184k it still had it but had never gotten worse. If I dint give it a chance to warm up it would sound awefull. But if I let it warm up for at least 2 min it was fine. My dad is a machinist and has many of the 5.3 ltrs brought in thinking they needed to be rebuilt. And on tear down only to discover there was no problems. My 2004 6.0 will do the same thing if I don't let it warm up for at least a min or so. I don't care what anybody says. If the outside temp is 40 or below u should always let your vehicle warm up for at least 5 min with the minimum being 3.

4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I feel better about the condition. A couple of minutes is a small penalty and no problem but just anoying to deal with design problem from the factory.

5. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I definitely cringe when I hear the slap but like the other two said, warms up, goes away and no problem.