1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pitman arm R&R

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Coach24, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Anyone do a pitman arm on a 97 Tahoe? Or similar model? Do you really need to pull the whole steering gear box? Or can you work around it some other way?

Plan to help a widow change out the pitman arm on her 97 tahoe and really do not want to pull the entire gear box.
    I have already replaced the o2 sensor , to pass emissions.
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

It makes the job alot easier to pull the gearbox, but you can get the job done by removing the lower two gearbox mounting bolts and loosening the upper so the box pivots up.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

what Boonduff said. They are a pain in the arse to get off.
  4. Coach24

Thanks guys that is exactly what I did and all seems to have gone well. It definitely is a lot cleaner and less time consuming than the alternative.
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Glad it went well. I have done a few without removing the gear box and there was a good amount of swearing involved.
  6. Coach24

Oh no swearing but a few buggered knuckles . and a bit of blood. but not too bad.