1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Planned Upgrades- opinions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by hammsfamms, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

Hi all. I have a few planned upgrades that I want to do and I was hoping to get some input from the community. I drive a 1997 C1500 with the 5.0L V8.

My first project is getting a custom cat-back exhaust put on. They will be dual straights coming out from either side of my hitch receiver.

Since I'll be pushing air out better, I was thinking the next thing should be either a KandN FIPK or an AirRaid CAI with a throttle-body spacer. Which would be better, the K and N or the AirRaid with the TBS combo? If anyone knows from experience that would be awesome.

Next, what's the best route to go for a tune-up? Should I do the Hypertech (or similar) handheld tuner so I can change stuff on-the-fly, or should I get a "chip" (not quite sure what this consists of if someone could explain). Or should I just have a shop tune it for better performance?

I'm really pumped to begin all these things and It seems that everyone on these forums is really knowledgeable so thanks in advance for the input. Also, check out my picture album of the body work I did (first time ever doing any such work; I'm happy with how it turned out!)
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Don't waste your moneyy on the throttlebody spacer. The hand held tuners for the '96-'99 don't do that much. I would suggest a custom tune from PCM4Less, Blackbear, Wheatly or NelsonPerformance.
  3. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

how do the custom tunes work? Like I said I'm really a newcomer to all of this, so I don't mean to sound ridiculous
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Below is a Link to Blackbear Custom Tunes.....they are 1 of the Sponsoring Vendor's here on the Site,

Link to Blackbear's Question and Answer Section of their Web Site Re-Guarding....Custom Tunes,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp
  5. silveradotrailblazer

All of the tuners I mentioned have websites. Check them out and you decide which one you think is best.
  6. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

nice thanks! I like what I see at PCM4Less, but I'm going to wait to make the decision until I get the exhaust and CAI done
  7. silveradotrailblazer

Yep, get all your mods done first.
  8. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Get whatever mod's you have planned done first, before you get a tuned. So, I suggest getting a new Coil and Plug Wires also along with your intake and exhaust.

Try and talk to a vendor either on the forums (most have accounts on here) or email them. Get an idea of what they are going to recommend for your tune. Pick what is going to fit your style (driving patters and such) best. They are all great people, and are very helpful. Good luck with your modding!!
  9. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

Thanks for all the advice! I probably won't get around to all of this until this semester is over and I'm back on full-time. I go to the University of Minnesota and I can't wait to be done so all my extra money can go right into my truck!
  10. jbjones240

jbjones240 Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree on not waisting your money on the TBS. Once you have locked in all you performance mods a tune will be a good finishing touch. If I could decide what I want to do next I could get closer to getting my tune done.

-JJ