Planning a summer road-trip?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jun 10, 2007.

Newest Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Just curious how many folks are planning to head out of town on a road-trip this summer?

We may pack up the Trailblazer later on and take a trip to Mississippi to see some friends, or maybe just head down to San Antonio just for kicks for a couple of days.

Anyone else?
  2. Slick6

Slick6 New Member

yup

acttualy yeh me n my off road group are headed towards the mountains for a couple of days to off road in dawson county and then cherrokee national forest. then after that we're headed down to florida to chill at the beach in destin n hit up some off road parks while we're there. oo and of course show off the big trucks on the strip at night:wink2:
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Come on folks, summer is winding down! What trips did ya'll take!

We're about to head out of town for Labor Day I think, going to visit some friends and take advantage of my last bit of vacation time before my new job start.

SUMMER 2007
    If you're still going to take a trip, where to?

If you took a trip, what did you do?
  4. MotorheadRQ

MotorheadRQ New Member

How I spent my summer vacation

This year we did about a week from Midland, TX to Nacogdoches, TX. Saw some family. Then went to the Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio for four days. The kids love it as there is a lazy river where they can float and play all day long. The wife likes it because there is bar service at the pool.

About 7 days in the 2001 Yukon without a glitch other than the A/C acting like it wanted to quit coming in to Houston. Turned it off and back on, and had no more problems.

Next year may be a little more exciting as the Hot Rod Power Tour will leave out of Little Rock, AR and hopefully my Trans Am will be ready for the trip. If you a car nut, this is the experience of a lifetime.

RQ
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My original plan to trailer my Tacoma rock crawler and Ski boat to Las Vegas and lake Mead for 2 weeks in August got cancelled when my dad died in late July and we had to fly to Las Vegas for a week.
    Now the plan is to fly to Sacramento Ca. visit the wifes family for a week then meet up with my brothers and drive their Jeeps and a rental Jeep across the Rubicon for a week. I think I'll buy the extra rental insurance this time.
  6. skier

skier New Member

Well, I'm not a huge fan of going places on "the big weekends," with all the associated sitting around in crummy traffic with goofy drivers, but we did drive the Tahoe over to Sand Lake THIS weekend (the 25th) to go ATVing. I finally had a reason to use 4WD, as we ran into a little soft sand on the road as we were leaving and started to spin. Just pushed the 4WD button and drove right out. Woohoo! Not having to shovel it out or be pulled out by someone else make it all worth while. ;-)

It was Bronco fest at Sand Lake this weekend, and I'm not sure what the total count was, but there was at least 200 misguided Ford owners, oops, I mean there was at least 200 Broncos sitting out in the first bowl. It was quite the sight. We had about 14 people all riding ATVs together and we had a blast! (though it could get a little nerve racking at times with the kids and having to watch out for all the trucks and stuff, but overall, it was a great time) This weekend (labor day), we'll probably just stay in town and have a cook out or something. :) Besides, it's probably safer riding ATVs at Bronco Fest than it is driving on Labor day weekend. hehe

Skier
  7. Easy Xjer

Easy Xjer New Member

Well I used my 98 Silverado k2500 to haul a Nissan Pathfinder to Ohio from Pa for my sister.
  8. njnavy07

njnavy07 New Member

For the first half of the summer we chose to rack up the miles on the wifes car before trading it in for a newer, bigger model at the end of July. Now we are piling the kids in my previously pristine Yukon (that was a month newer than the car we traded) and we are about to make the 150 mi haul down to the southern tip of Jersey with our boat in tow for Labor Day weekend to have our last bit of fun of Summer '07.

My Other Child: '07 Yukon XL SLE 4WD (June '06)
    The Big Kid: '02 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab LT 4WD DRW (Nov '01)

Wifey's Car: '07 Escalade ESV AWD (July '07)

Former GM's
    '05 GMC Envoy XUV
    '02 Escalade AWD
    '02 HUMMER H2
    '95 GMC Sierra K2500
  9. CaJuN625

CaJuN625 New Member

South Dakota

I drug the camper up to Custer, South Dakota to introduce the kids to one of my fondest memories from back when I was my youngest's age (7). We saw Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore (incredible hail storm), Deadwood and a few other places. I think the kids got most of their enjoyment from the waterslide at the campground, though. This was the first towing trip with the Sierra - the Tahoe was our tow vehicle up until then. Let me tell you, don't let anyone dog the 6.0L for towing: WOW. Granted, I'm sure the 4.10 gears helped alot, but ... let me put it this way: the GPS said I averaged 63mph over the whole 655 mile trip there ... gas stops and potty breaks included. We were FLYING. It's only a 25 footer, but it's not the weight that's the problem - it's 3 feet taller and wider than my truck - wind resistence kills us. I wanted to get a wing, but I never seemed to have the extra money (typical).

We try to hit someplace new, every year. We went to San Francisco 2 years ago, Seattle and Birch Bay Washington last year and Custer this last summer. I really liked Washington, so we may go back there, next year.
  10. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am taking my family (minus the 4 year old) to see my sister in Washington, D.C. from Sept. 6 to 13. We have a White House tour set up and a Pentagon tour set up (brother-in-law works in there). Plus we will take the kids to see all of the other history of the area.

Hey Robert, how about a picture of that Trans Am?