1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Plastic fender flares... to Remove or not to remove

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Big_Ben, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member 100 Posts

Hey guys. I've seen quite a few silverados now in the 2003 - 2006 range that have the plastic fender flares around the wheel wells removed. I really like the look with them off personally, however I have yet to see it on a truck with stock rims and am not sure how it would look. Regarding functionality, I was wondering if this would increase chances of rust on the wheel wells in years to come? I realize if I take care of it and keep it clean it shouldn't be a problem, but realistically washing my truck during -40 winters to get salt off is not going to happen until it warms up significantly. Below is a link to a post with the most recent pictures I have of my truck (taken a week ago) so let me know what you think.

Pictures
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. 383man

383man New Member 100 Posts

I don't like the looks of the stock flares, but the bushwackers are nice, i have a set on my truck, with some pics up in my photo albums if you want to take a look, they look a lot nicer, and are more functional, doesn't keep all the dirt off, but about 80% less probably. it'll look good without them too, unless they've been on the truck for years, in which case the paint won't be faded with the rest of the body and wont match, and there will probably be wear spots in the paiint if you pull em.
  3. Big_Ben

That was one of my other concerns I forgot to mention. I've only had the truck for just over a year now and it's 6 years old. I'm afraid of how much darker the black will be around the wheel wells vs. the rest of the truck. I do like your bushwacker flares though! Not to sure how they'd look on mine. I have a feeling it might look a bit goofy since I have no lift whatsoever. I suppose I could just take them off and if I don't like it - put them back on, but I thought I'd get a few opinions first.
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member 100 Posts

Mine are stock and they bolt on, so I cant take mine off cuz I would have holes all over. But I like em...
  5. 383man

383man New Member 100 Posts

thats another thing i like about the bushwackers, they bolt onto the inner fender, no cosmetic damage to your truck, just a rubber gasket on the paint thats all. real easy to install and take off again.
  6. hildy19

hildy19 New Member 100 Posts

check out adampaul1964 he took his off. if you do take them off and are interested in letting them go i'd love to make a deal :lol:
  7. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As was previously mentioned I took mine off and I like it much better without them. :glasses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Big_Ben

Man I love your truck! haha

You're actually the original inspiration for this idea... then I saw a few local trucks in town that were fender-less.

But you have nice rims and low-profile tires... I'm not sure how this will look with stock rims and A/T tires.

How do they come off anyways? I haven't even looked yet. Are they just bolted on underneath?
  9. Big_Ben

If they come off, and it looks good I'm up for a deal. The fender flare on the passenger side rear has a pretty decent gash in it from previous owner. So if you don't mind that we can talk more when they come off. I can send you a pic of the damaged one if you want.
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They are mounted with double side tape and the same type of "push"fastener that fastens the underhood splash shield, the one that covers the space between the radiator and grille.
    And just so you know shipping is ridiculous for the flares, I've had several people interested in mine but when they find out its at least a $100 to ship they lose interest!:glasses:
    (The second pic in previous post shows the stock wheels on the truck.)