1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Plastic Intake Manifolds?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Big_Mike, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member 100 Posts

What are some opinions on the subject of plastic intake manifolds? To be honest, I feel rather skeptical about them... But maybe there are advantages that I don't realize, like saving weight... Any comments (positive or negative) will be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Plastic that needs to be high torque bolted to a metal engine that reaches up to 260 degrees when running hot but run 210 normally. Yah not trusting that also plastic becomes brittle when cold so if your vehicle sits for a couple days in below freezing temps and you start it and it warms up that gonna kill the plastic.
  3. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

I think the composite "plastic" intakes are a huge improvement over metal. Design flexability, weight, cost, thermal characteristics. Plastics have come a looong way since Grandma's Tupper Ware.
  4. Conlan Rose

Ik these "plastics" have come a long way but I wouldn't trust them bolted to my block. Also plastic is harder to do quick repairs say if u striped out a bolt you can just re drill and put in new threads because its not made of metal heck its hard enough in aluminum they rip out all the time.
  5. dpeter

Conlan Rose, So if I follow your reasoning, then cast iron is supperior to alluminum and plastic, candles are better than electric lights, points and distributers are better than distributerless electronic, carburetors are better than injection, etc. etc.? I see by your signature that you have an automatic transmission and several aftermarket mods to keep it from self destructing, oh if only we could all have manual transmissions. I completely get your point and only get a little absurd to make the point that we all have some comfort level with new materials and technology. I recently had part of my plastic intake break but was able to effect a repair with a $.50 plug from the hardware store.
  6. Conlan Rose

I was mainly printing out the fix striped out bolts in aluminum is a pain in the butt and much easier on cast iron. Personally I think aluminum blocks are great and have very much helped increased power and durability. I just don't trust the idea of plastic being bolted to one of the hottest places on the engine. Heck for all I know the plastic is more durable and superior then the metal. Also if you notice those are future mods, my transmission is very solid just wanna keep it that way for a long time. I'm usually all for new tech but some times I feel that its not an improvement its cheating out. If given the chance I would love a new engine computer for my truck with superior programing and tech then the current one, sadly that really doesn't exist but I always can wish.
  7. Conlan Rose

Grrr spell check on my phone changed two of my words
    Its pointing not printing and cheaping out not cheating out.
  8. dpeter

I guess the real test will be to see if the after market performance companies will offer it. Thanks for playing along.
  9. Conlan Rose

Yup that will be the test. And no problem it was fun.
  10. Blazer454

Blazer454 New Member

Like said earlier they are composite not plastic and if the heating cooling thing was an issue than they wouldnt use it. They got rid of the aluminum intake manifolds because of the heating cooling issue