Plastic Under Bumper

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by lancer, Aug 10, 2009.

1. lancer

lancer New Member

I've got an 06 silverado and it has the normal plastic under the bumper but then has a lower piece on the bottom. my question is can i take this off? i don't like the looks of it. I'm sure it was put on for a reason but i don't know what that reason would be. here is a picture you can kinda see what i'm talking about..........

[​IMG]
  2. reddedsilvy05

reddedsilvy05 New Member

yep no problem, i took mine off when it got painted, there really is no need for it
  3. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member

i took mine off also, two bolts, and the use of a flat head screw driver to pop off the tabs, look in my sig for the picture
  4. lancer

lancer New Member

GREAT i never did like the look of that plastic piece. it makes the front of my truck look so much lower. i think i found my quick project for tomorrow night, after i get my bowtie repainted and put in. painted it black last night looked great tried clearing it tonight and now it looks like a$$
  5. daddytech

daddytech New Member

there is an actual purpose for those pieces of plastic they are to deflect things from the road and keep them from getting up into your motor and or belts and such. they also help deflect some road level air up into the engine compartment also for some reason. shouldn't really hurt anything it not being there. if you had a suburban or a tahoe though I would mention removing that may cause in cabin noise when all the windows are down too.
  6. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member

Tear it off them psot some before and after pics! I think youll like it better with it gone.
  7. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

Took mine off months ago when I leveled the truck, it's not going to hurt anything with it not being there, after all, not all trucks have it from the factory anyway.:great:
  8. identityPRS

identityPRS New Member

I KNOW!!! i NEVER use clear coat anymore. it always screws it up. i dont know why.... i just paits stuff like 10 times!!! hahahahaha!!!:lol:
  9. lancer

lancer New Member

took the plastic piece off tonight and i must say looks a MILLION times better. never thought a 4" piece of plastic could make something look so bad.
  10. 1S1K

1S1K New Member

plastic skirt

I took mine off with the level kit. looks like ive gained 5 inches fromt the front. Well worth the three mins of labor! lol
  11. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

Good point about the road hazards. Also the air dam will improve cooling at high speed buy helping maintain a low pressure area under the engine compartment. That being said a truck looks better with it removed and I'm thinking about removing mine. :)
  12. daddytech

daddytech New Member

did you ask the dealer what purpose it served?? I wouldn't dispose of it till you find out if it's really needed or not and what the real purpose of it is. better to be safe than sorry.
  13. Henchman

Henchman New Member

Yeah that is one thing that GM could do to save a little cash when building these trucks...or for the cars for that matter. My wifes 06 Impala has the same thing and since her car sits lower, it scrapes on our driveway becasue it's at a steeper angle. Other than that, the only thing that I can think of it being used for is to protect your engine part a little more...don't really know!
  14. lancer

lancer New Member

i kept the piece just in case. not sure about the heating issue. my truck has dual electric fans so i'm not sure about it getting to hot without the piece
  15. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 New Member

Took mine off couple months ago what a difference, front looks much higher. Great no cost mod.
  16. bvogts25

bvogts25 New Member

i actually looked this up in the manual because i 100% agree that it looks better. the manual said to only remove it for off road use (because it obviously gives you more clearance being th low point on the truck) but when you return to driving on normal roads to reinstall it. the reason is because it help directs air to the engine and air intake when it is on.

thats what it said in a nut shell

now my question is has anyone noticed a difference in gas mileage after they took it off?
    cuz it could either help or hurt the mileage

help by having less drag
    or
    hurt by letting more air pass thru under the truck

sorry its alot....
  17. daweinah

daweinah New Member

Anyone done this with an NBS Silverado? I'm confused how many pieces make up the front bumper.

Well I went ahead and made this image to highlight what I think are the pieces of the bumper. Can they all be taken off individually? The yellow piece is what I'm most interested in removing. Same pic without lines below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member

i want one :( i think theyll make truck look lower. :)
  19. lancer

lancer New Member

the yellow piece is what i took off my 06 not sure about the new ones if its the same piece or not but taking it off looks like i raised my truck 3" in the front
  20. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 New Member

Yea kill the yellow piece, looks way better;)