Plates?

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Pflor86, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Pflor86

Pflor86 Rockstar

i was just wondering what the reason for everyone removing there plates or blacking them out in pictures was?? i just uploaded a few pics and i got freaked out and went back and deleted them after noticing that.. just curious

2. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

I would think just for confidentiality reasons. Some cunning lowlife with connections could maybe run your plate number and get your name & address and who knows what else. You can never be too safe these days when it comes to identity theft. I did it just to be on the safe side. I wish someone would steal my identity so they could take over my student loan payments!! Too bad it doesn't work that way.:no:

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on Sals post. Too many identity thieves in the world today.

4. Jay

Jay Rockstar

I scratch mine out of my pics... I'm not worried about you folks... guess I'm just paranoid... wait, that's not a guess...yup...I'm paranoid. :)

5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Its a privacy thing for me.

6. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

X3. Better safe than sorry. I really wish I didn't feel the need to do that (because it's kind of a pain), but if you can think of several ways to take advantage of that sort of thing having never committed such a crime, imagine the possibilities of a career criminal.

7. Bama Z71

Bama Z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Whew! I finally got out of the Shelby County Jail , I was held for Investigation Interviews and even held in a cell because I couldn't remember were I was on Feb. 4th at around 7-8 pm? I was picked up for for questioning following 2 armed robbery's and apparantly someone who has a grudge on me , has seen photos of my truck with a rear view , gave the truck discription and tag number , and I was leaving the scene of both crimes (in a hurry). Well finally got it straight for now , but my truck is being held while they finish up the investigation. I was told that I may get it back in around 3-4 days , and after I pay for the impound storage!!!:grrrrrr:

JUST KIDDING ABOUT ALL OF THIS...............BUT SEE WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!:lol:

8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

well, about the jail post... i realy was once questioned in a murder investigation ( in germany tho ) the sketch in the news paper, REALY looked like me tho..funny NOT !
    But if i would be worried about privacy,,,, i would not own a PC or a life...everything today is open no matter if you scratch out your plates on a picture.
    I think its a waste of time, if somebody wants to know something about you he can google it or similar. NO PROBLEM !!!

Thats why i post away.

9. Bama Z71

Bama Z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thats the truth! There's a website called intelius ,that you pay a small fee to and they give you ALOT of someones info. I don't know anyone that has done this , but you can google or yahoo search it and find the site, It should be illegal.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  10. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't think it's a matter of "they can whether you like it or not", I know anyone can get anything. With the internet, there's always traces everywhere you go and your identity is made public from your dog's favourite toy, to where you went for your 3 year old son's birthday, to your birthdate, to your unlisted phone number.

With the plates in pictures, however, it's a matter of how easy do you want to make it for people to mess with you. It's along the lines of "why bother locking my car? If they want to steal my stuff they'll just break a window." That's true, but there's a big difference between someone breaking into your car and stealing the head unit right out of the dash, as opposed to leaving your CD collection in a folder on the passenger seat, along with your wallet and banking information with the windows rolled down, doors unlocked, in a dark parking lot, after business hours, in a bad neighborhood.

Just my $.02