Play in my rear end

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by tboz, Jul 20, 2014.

1. tboz

tboz New Member

Hey guys!
    I have a 2004 Silverado, 4.8L, 4x4
    I have play in my rear end somewhere. It bangs around when I change gears, and accelerate, and especially when I go up hills and let off the gas, then back on. I was wondering if anyone has experience with rebuilds of rears, and what it would cost. I'm assuming i just need new gears in it, hopefully that is all.
    Thanks

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

First check that the universal joints are OK. A bad U joint you'll usually feel it in the acceleration as a bad vibration since the bearings in the caps are dried out and have turned to dust. It's an easy check but if you do suspect a bad rear and you go to a shop. they'll check the u joints anyway. Depending on mileage they'll probably recommend replacing them. However you have a 4x4 and there are more u joints in the drive train. A standard rear end job would be somewhere between $750-$1000.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would drop the drive shaft and grease the slip yoke that slides into the trans. It might fix your noise

4. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hey Pikey, what type of spline grease do you recommend for this application?

5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Debating if I should reword the thread title... LOL!

GSPKurt likes this.
  6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

first I would drop the diff cover and clean the box out and see what happens with the new gear oil. the rear diff oil needs replacing every 40K miles with the rear cover removed to clean out the debris.. no cover removals cause diff failures as the metal debris eats at the gear teeth and bearings......

7. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

It does look funny when looking through the threads.:lol:

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

lol! Just add a question mark to the end of the title! I just use a thick EP grease like red and tacky

9. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ya gotta keep it lubricated!!!!:lol:

10. GSPKurt

GSPKurt Rockstar

I laughed at that title!!